Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Government & Politics

Notices

Old 04-25-2007, 07:26 PM   #16
Santabot
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to Santabot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
As a local businessman, my employees and I have participated in a city program where the city pays half of training costs, while I pay the other half. Zero cost to the employee. No military involved. And this is but one single example of a (non-military) government program.
Unless you're paying for people to get their BA or higher, then that's not the same issue I'm talking about. Training for businesses is partly there for employers, and also for employees who plan on their careers beforehand. Those employers that need people desperately or would like to offer free training are doing a service in order to enhance those individuals and the business itself by having properly trained employees.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:43 PM   #17
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santabot
Unless you're paying for people to get their BA or higher, then that's not the same issue I'm talking about.
Total BS.. A CNA or CCIE certification is worth a lot more than a BA. But I have also helped pay an employee to get her MBA, so that happens too. But she wasn't some looser. You gotta earn it. Nothing is free. Somebody has to pay for it. The question becomes whether help comes from government or the private and religious sectors. I prefer the last 2 as it should be.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:47 PM   #18
Neo
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 228 Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of
Better if it is deserved or earned rather than given away by the government, which happens to be by my own expense anyway.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:30 PM   #19
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
I'm not a liberal, far from it.

The Guardian is also a well-publicized and respected source of information, even for many Americans who enjoy the luxury of seeing our own country from an outside perspective. Britain is not exempt from witnessing the bull**** that goes on in our country; but the sad thing is, most of us are.
So is the New York Times....taht doesn't mean it isn't a biased piece of crap too.

Hey kid, did it ever occur to you that what you consider "bull****" , is what the voting majorty of the country want?
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:33 PM   #20
Santabot
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
So is the New York Times....taht doesn't mean it isn't a biased piece of crap too.

Hey kid, did it ever occur to you that what you consider "bull****" , is what the voting majorty of the country want?
The majority would agree when the mass media is the same affecting all, where corporate entities control the minds and votes of the majority of Americans in their daily lives, because they truthfully believe the so-called "experts" who are almost unanimously claimed by the government's payroll and limits.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:34 PM   #21
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Sure, join the military and die for your education.
EVERYONE qualifies for student loans...

Or god forbid, excel in High School and earn a scholarship.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:35 PM   #22
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
The majority would agree when the mass media is the same affecting all, where corporate entities control the minds and votes of the majority of Americans in their daily lives, because they truthfully believe the so-called "experts" who are almost unanimously claimed by the government's payroll and limits.

Well only a 17 year old fool would think the majority of Americans are so stupid that they can't think for themselves...
Old 04-25-2007, 08:41 PM   #23
Santabot
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
EVERYONE qualifies for student loans...

Or god forbid, excel in High School and earn a scholarship.
Passing in high school is not that simple of a task.

Personally, from experience, I've seen that making a minor error in the FIFTH grade can cost you an entire year or two of math or even science to make you behind/ahead of the rest of the class. I had a few key absences in school in fifth grade, and this lead to me missing a vital test that eventually lowered my grade to a C (it was, I believe, very border-line close to a B) and that kept me from eventually being in Calculus this year, I'm in Pre-calc, but if that certain small event that I actually didn't have a choice in the matter, it actually entirely changed my classes, schedules, friends and teachers, etc.

The school system is in a MAJOR need of reform. I believe the school system needs to be privatized to promote school teachers to work harder to earn better pay for their contributions. More awards need to be given and less selective cliques should be acknowledged, at this point, there are various small groups that will attend EVERY scholastic opportunity extra-curricularly, but others will not be informed of any way to get to those events in order to achieve.

If you want to argue the school system with me, someone who is still currently in it, at one of the best schools around, and has all of the advantages of seeing the peak of ability and the others who are drastically behind in education, I should be able to easily give a better judgment on the way the process is being run and handled in its current state, at least locally.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:04 PM   #24
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
Passing in high school is not that simple of a task.
Jesus kid....you need to get some new friends.
Quote:
Personally, from experience, I've seen that making a minor error in the FIFTH grade can cost you an entire year or two of math or even science to make you behind/ahead of the rest of the class. I had a few key absences in school in fifth grade, and this lead to me missing a vital test that eventually lowered my grade to a C (it was, I believe, very border-line close to a B) and that kept me from eventually being in Calculus this year, I'm in Pre-calc, but if that certain small event that I actually didn't have a choice in the matter, it actually entirely changed my classes, schedules, friends and teachers, etc.
Guess what? When you go to college, most of your classes, schedules, friends , and teacher will change again. Then you know what? When you graduate and go to grad school in another country, it's gonna happen to you all over again. Then guess what? When you graduate and get a job, it's going to happen all over again.

It's called life kid, and change is a big part of it.

Academics aren't the only type of scholarships out there, and if someone is struggling in high school, then they need to be thinking about Trade School, not college anyway.
Quote:
The school system is in a MAJOR need of reform. I believe the school system needs to be privatized to promote school teachers to work harder to earn better pay for their contributions. More awards need to be given and less selective cliques should be acknowledged, at this point, there are various small groups that will attend EVERY scholastic opportunity extra-curricularly, but others will not be informed of any way to get to those events in order to achieve.

If you want to argue the school system with me, someone who is still currently in it, at one of the best schools around, and has all of the advantages of seeing the peak of ability and the others who are drastically behind in education, I should be able to easily give a better judgment on the way the process is being run and handled in its current state, at least locally.
Why would I want to argue the school system with you?

Simply put, I don't care about people who lack the intelligence OR the ambition to pass high school. We have welfare, government housing, food stamps, free clinics, and even prison for those. We aren't all created equally and it's about time we stopped blaming external forces on the failures of the individual.

BTW, you never did address student loans. You know, that alternative to military service for higher education that everyone qualifies for......
Old 04-25-2007, 09:06 PM   #25
Santabot
Advanced Member

Free prison with a $500+ per day cost to keep them there, rather than putting them to work and extracting taxes to pay for others who break the law and are there.

Remove drug offenses and you let out 55.1% of the country's imprisoned citizens.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:35 PM   #26
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
Free prison with a $500+ per day cost to keep them there, rather than putting them to work and extracting taxes to pay for others who break the law and are there.

Remove drug offenses and you let out 55.1% of the country's imprisoned citizens.
According to the Department of Justice, drug offenders only make up an average of about 20% of the prison population. Care to show where you got 55.1%?

BTW, I supervise an inmate labor crew for a living....