Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 04-19-2007, 09:27 PM   #1
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Are cell phones wiping out bees?

http://www.google.com/search?q=bees+cell+phones
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Interesting, does it work on wasps too? They're really annoying this time of year and they can't make honey. "Save the bees!!! Down with wasps!!!"
Old 04-19-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Are mobile phones wiping out our bees?

Quote:
Scientists claim radiation from handsets are to blame for mysterious 'colony collapse' of bees

By Geoffrey Lean and Harriet Shawcross

Published: 15 April 2007

It seems like the plot of a particularly far-fetched horror film. But some scientists suggest that our love of the mobile phone could cause massive food shortages, as the world's harvests fail.
They are putting forward the theory that radiation given off by mobile phones and other hi-tech gadgets is a possible answer to one of the more bizarre mysteries ever to happen in the natural world - the abrupt disappearance of the bees that pollinate crops. Late last week, some bee-keepers claimed that the phenomenon - which started in the US, then spread to continental Europe - was beginning to hit Britain as well.
The theory is that radiation from mobile phones interferes with bees' navigation systems, preventing the famously homeloving species from finding their way back to their hives. Improbable as it may seem, there is now evidence to back this up.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:20 AM   #4
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Well if this isn't the craziest thing I've heard?? Where is Brutus? Isn't his avatar a bee? Maybe he can give us the "buzz" on this topic.
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
cosmo kramer
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 217 cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold
Well, I will have to say I had a swarm of killer bees in my living room the other day as I was chatting on my cellie! They looked a little dangerous!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snl.two0220_big.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	334  

cosmo kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:42 PM   #6
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo kramer
Well, I will have to say I had a swarm of killer bees in my living room the other day as I was chatting on my cellie! They looked a little dangerous!
I heard that it turned out to be people playing the game "Buck Bumble" on their cell phones.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:51 PM   #7
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Where is Brutus?

Sir Brutus where art thou ? You sure look like a bee or is it a killer bee
Do you know about bees or just like the way they look ? Maybe you are a fan of Gary Larson
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
Brutus

Rep Power: 0 Brutus is a jewel in the rough Brutus is a jewel in the rough Brutus is a jewel in the rough
I am the fly on the wall

But since you asked. The bees around the country are dying at an alarming rate. Some beekeepers have experienced losses over 60%. Beekeepers have been beaten down by an unknown disease. The name of the disease is Colony Collapse Disorder. By the way the Romans also had the same disease run through their colonies and gave it the same name.

We are happy for the press the industry is receiving about the importance of honey bees to our food chain. The disease today has no answer but many theories. One being the cell towers are causing the bees to loss their navigational bearings. Another theory stats that GMO, Genetically Modified Organism, have caused the bees to become disoriented. Those two are assuming the bees are losing their way home. By the way, bees fly up to 5 miles to collect nectar, pollen, and water for the colonies.

The other theories deal with the with miss use of miticides, antibiotics, and food supplements. These all hold some truth but no one theory holds all the answers. Like I said before the Romans have experienced this outbreak, we have documented a similar outbreak in this region in the 1950's.

I believe the bees are stressed, hot dry summers the United State received these past couple of years along with the lack of adequate moisture for the plants to produce nectar has caused the bees to scale their operations down.

Now if you don't mind, I will return to the wall right behind you.
Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus
But since you asked. The bees around the country are dying at an alarming rate. Some beekeepers have experienced losses over 60%. Beekeepers have been beaten down by an unknown disease. The name of the disease is Colony Collapse Disorder. By the way the Romans also had the same disease run through their colonies and gave it the same name.

We are happy for the press the industry is receiving about the importance of honey bees to our food chain. The disease today has no answer but many theories. One being the cell towers are causing the bees to loss their navigational bearings. Another theory stats that GMO, Genetically Modified Organism, have caused the bees to become disoriented. Those two are assuming the bees are losing their way home. By the way, bees fly up to 5 miles to collect nectar, pollen, and water for the colonies.

The other theories deal with the with miss use of miticides, antibiotics, and food supplements. These all hold some truth but no one theory holds all the answers. Like I said before the Romans have experienced this outbreak, we have documented a similar outbreak in this region in the 1950's.

I believe the bees are stressed, hot dry summers the United State received these past couple of years along with the lack of adequate moisture for the plants to produce nectar has caused the bees to scale their operations down.

Thank you Brutus for that most excellent bee report! I know that bees are important to my tomatoes, cucs, and peppers! I have high hopes for a bumper crop in my little garden this year.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:51 AM   #10
Sexy Sadie

Rep Power: 0 Sexy Sadie has a spectacular aura about Sexy Sadie has a spectacular aura about Sexy Sadie has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus

I find it amusing that you would compare bees with Romans
Sexy Sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:16 PM   #11
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Did he mean Roman colonies had this disease or their bee colonies did? Did Romans keep bees?
Old 04-22-2007, 10:19 PM   #12
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Vanishing honeybees

Vanishing honeybees mystify scientists

Quote:
• Billions of bees have mysteriously vanished since late last year in the U.S.
• Disappearing bees have also been reported in Europe and Brazil
• One-third of the U.S. diet depends on pollination, mostly by honeybees
• Some beekeepers are losing 50 percent of their bees to the disorder
Quote:
Go to work, come home.
Go to work, come home.
Go to work -- and vanish without a trace.
Billions of bees have done just that, leaving the crop fields they are supposed to pollinate, and scientists are mystified about why.

The phenomenon was first noticed late last year in the United States, where honeybees are used to pollinate $15 billion worth of fruits, nuts and other crops annually. Disappearing bees have also been reported in Europe and Brazil.

Commercial beekeepers would set their bees near a crop field as usual and come back in two or three weeks to find the hives bereft of foraging worker bees, with only the queen and the immature insects remaining. Whatever worker bees survived were often too weak to perform their tasks.

If the bees were dying of pesticide poisoning or freezing, their bodies would be expected to lie around the hive. And if they were absconding because of some threat -- which they have been known to do -- they wouldn't leave without the queen.

Since about one-third of the U.S. diet depends on pollination and most of that is performed by honeybees, this constitutes a serious problem, according to Jeff Pettis of the U.S. Agricultural Research Service.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:27 PM   #13
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Spray system

We have a spray system on our house that goes off about 4 times a day spraying an organic pecticide. These have become quite popular in the last year or so. I wonder how much products like these are contributing to disappearing bees or could it be that aliens are snatching them for some reason?
Texasbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:55 PM   #14
cosmo kramer
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 217 cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold cosmo kramer is a splendid one to behold
I noticed a gang of deadly Mexican bees the other day. A new variety, I hear. Cell phone activity doesnt seem to bother them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snl_killer_bees.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	346  

cosmo kramer is offline   Reply With Quote