Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Culture & Community

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #1
Jvanv

Rep Power: 0 Jvanv has a spectacular aura about Jvanv has a spectacular aura about Jvanv has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to Jvanv
Shreveport/Bossier History Threatened

Okay, maybe that was a little harsh. I am working on a film project revolving around events in Shreveport's history. Many of these events have not been recorded in either texts or on film and need to be. SO, if you have a story to tell about Shreveport's past, I'd like you to tell it here. I will be collecting these over the next few months for inclusion in a docu-drama. Here are some specific incidents that I'm interested in just to get you going, but go ahead and tell me your recollections whether or not the subject is included in the list. Let's face it, I don't know everything that has gone on in the area since the 1920s, just a few stories that I've heard. If you have any film footage or photos of any event I'd love to hear from you.

1920s - 30s era Clubs on Fanin St and the musicians that played them.

1930s the Woodlawn Club in Cedar Grove

1950s the Louisiana Hayride, KWKH Radio

1960s George D'artois stand off with the Caddo Sheriff's Department/State Police at a black high school

1960s the fish market and clubs under the Texas Street Bridge

1960s the Cave on the riverfront, Monseur's on Texas Street

1960s KEEL radio

1960s - 70s Paula Records - Frankie Vallie - Lakeside School of Music - The Progressive Men's Club

1970s mass-arrest of people in Columbia Park, the resulting protests, and/or the class action suit against the city of Shreveport that followed

1970s The Afro American Scene (a nightclub) - the Fleur de Lis

1970s D'artois standoff with police - trial - death and funeral

1970s The Other Voice - The Daily Planet - Thoughts

1970s integration of Bird High School

1970s Sun Ray and the first Hard Rock programming on radio in Shreveport

1970s Shreve Square

1988 riots in Cedar Grove

OR perhaps you have a story to tell about some of these people: Sam Bolin, Henry Walker, Mills McCauley, Al Childs, George Carlin, Webb Pierce, Elvis Presley, Robie Odom, Dan Garner, Danny Johnson, Jay Davis, Pat McCoy, Sherman Gorton, Robert Riser, Mike Love, Mike Stark, Johnny "Slim" Campbell, Dominique Cangalosi, Barry Shipp, Wendy Wingate, Mjr. John Hoppie, Don "Wild Bill" Brady, Bob Jones, Bill May, Chickie Johnson, Robbie Johnson, Lynn Hendrix, Dana and Greg Wicks, Jeffery Pomeroy, Diane Moore, Mr. John, Pat Goins, Geneva Wyatt, Hair Shapers, The Attic, Keith Cox, Ann Matkin, Johnny Winter and the Green Men, Terry Bradshaw, Joe McNeiley, Tim and David Demment, Tom Caperton, Jeff Dale, Lora Long, Nina Horton, Ginger Brazzell, Graham Rogers, Sandy Barke, Dennis Kronledge, Tag Graves, Richard and Robert Barham, Mike Todd, Dale Hawkins, Tommy Dorsey, Rudie Valle, David Baird, Stan Lewis, Phil Sage, Bobby Kolb, Danny Dotson, Mike Coker, Wade DeLaun, Allen Stein, Donna Fertitta, Larry Androse, Debbie Kincaid, Virginia Mizel, Sam The Sham and the Pharaohs, Bubble Puppy, Graveyard, Parker Turner

OR these places: The Train Station Downtown, The Bossier Strip, Kickapoo, The Stork Club, Shindig, Woodlawn Club, Rusty Nail, Saks Whisk-A-Go-Go, Blue Hole, Ford Park Zoo, Satori House, Shire House, Crossroads, Leatherhead, Byrd High School, Centenary College, Betty Virginia Park, Columbia Park, Highland Park, United Pentecostal Church of Bossier City, Plantation Park Elementary, Highland Terrace, Airline High School, Bossier High School, Schumpert 8th Floor, Ft. Humbug, The Municipal Auditorium, Stan's Record Shop, Illusions, The Other Who (a teen nightclub), The State Fair, White Leopard Kung Fu School

All comments are welcome. Have a person or place that you think should be included? Just go ahead and post your comments. There are lots of interesting stories out there and I'd like to hear yours.

Last edited by Jvanv; 04-16-2010 at 12:18 AM. Reason: additions
Jvanv is offline   Reply With Quote