Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Entertainment

Notices

Old 07-23-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
Jesse

Rep Power: 0 Jesse will become famous soon enough Jesse will become famous soon enough
Just a bit of Trivia

Trivia Bits,
July 23

Word of the week: "anosmia." It is the loss of the sense of smell. The related "hyposmia" is a decrease in one's sense of smell. The condition is often diagnosed by physicians using scratch-and-sniff tests.

SWAT redundancy clarification: A recent column included "SWAT team" as a redundancy. Though many readers recognize "SWAT" as standing for "Special Weapons and Tactics," the acronym originally stood for "Special Weapons Assault Team."

If you are doing something called a "right and left grand," also known as a "grand right and left," you are most likely in the middle of a:

A) Square dance

B) Boxing match

C) Piano duet

D) Bank robbery

Previous answer: Spanish-born artist Pablo Picasso is credited with saying, "I am only a public entertainer who has understood his time."

Initial coincidence addition: To our list of films having stars with the same initials, we add the recent discovery "Let's Face It," a 1942 comedy whose two leads were Betty Hutton and Bob Hope.

Not quite "flushed" with success: We recently read that the first Mr. Whipple commercial for Charmin bathroom tissue was filmed in the Queens, N.Y., neighborhood of Flushing(!). For confirmation, we contacted former ad exec John Chervokas, who created Whipple. He recalls the first commercial was filmed in Queens, but couldn't be sure of Flushing. Darn it!

How did Apollo 11 astronaut and second man on the moon (the first alphabetically, by the way) Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin get his nickname?

A) He liked to chase bees as a child

B) From his very short "buzz cut" hair

C) From his sister's mispronunciation of "brother"

D) From his droning voice

Previous answer: A "right and left grand," or "grand right and left," is a circular move in square dancing.

What's the connection between composer Jerome Kern and British statesman Winston Churchill? Kern's parents named him Jerome after a favorite leisure spot of theirs in New York City, Jerome Park. The park was named for Leonard Jerome, the maternal grandfather of Churchill.

The designer clothing label Evan-Picone has been around since 1949. The "Evan" in its name is actually Charles Evans, who co-founded the company with Joseph Picone. Robert Evans, producer of such films as "Chinatown" and "Marathon Man," is Charles Evans' younger brother.

The Santa Maria was the largest of the three ships used by Christopher Columbus on his first voyage to the New World in 1492. How many men sailed to America on the Santa Maria?

A) 14

B) 40

C) 104

D) 404

Previous answer: The young sister of astronaut Buzz Aldrin mispronounced "brother" as "buzzer," which was the source of his nickname.

Small-town celebrity birthplace of the week: Wharton, Texas (current population about 9,000). Former CBS anchorman Dan Rather was born there in 1931.

Plane spelling: MiG, the name of Russian fighter planes since the 1940s, is correctly spelled with a capital letter at each end and a lowercase letter in the middle. Why? Because "MiG" is short for the last names of the aircraft designers Artem Mikoyan and Mikhail Gurevich.

When an admirer once told "Whistler's Mother" artist James MacNeill Whistler that she knew of only two painters in the world, him and Spanish master Diego Velasquez, what was Whistler's response?

A) "Let's not forget house painters"

B) "Why drag in Velasquez?"

C) "The Dutch might disagree"

D) "My mother thanks you"

Previous answer: The Santa Maria, Columbus' largest ship on his 1492 voyage to the New World, carried a crew of 40 men.

Among the offbeat records set at this year's London Marathon and certified by Guinness: Fastest female dressed in a superhero costume (Supergirl, to be specific), and longest scarf knitted (over 3 feet long) while running a marathon. One of the competitors holds the record for the longest working pacemaker, installed 25 years ago.

Bozo update: We got a nice e-mail from Candice Miller Blackman, daughter of Eddie "Bozo" Miller, whose upcoming 99th birthday we mentioned here recently. Thanks to her, we were able to get an old buddy of Bozo's, Don DeGraf of Walnut Creek, Calif., back in touch with him. More about "the world's greatest trencherman" in future columns.

The current all-time leader in career PGA Tour wins is Sam Snead with 82, though Tiger Woods is closing in on that, with nearly 60. The current all-time leader in career PGA Tour wins who was not born in the United States, hails/hailed from what country?

A) Australia

B) Scotland

C) South Africa

D) Fiji
Old 07-23-2007, 08:37 AM   #2
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Looks like fun! I've got some interesting trivia too!

Quote:
If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.
...(Hardly seems worth it)

If you farted consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.
...(Now that's more like it!)

The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the body to squirt blood 30 feet.
...(O.M.G.!)

A pig's orgasm lasts 30 minutes.
...(In my next life, I want to be a pig)

A cockroach will live nine days without its head before it starves to death.
...(Creepy!) ...(I'm still not over the pig.)

Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories a hour.
...(Don't try this at home, maybe at work.)

The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The female initiates sex by ripping the male's head off.
...("Honey, I'm home. What the...?!")

The flea can jump 350 times its body length. It's like a human jumping the length of a football field.
...(30 minutes..lucky pig! Can you imagine?)

The catfish has over 27,000 taste buds.
...(What could be so tasty on the bottom of a pond?)

Some lions mate over 50 times a day.
...(I still want to be a pig in my next life...quality over quantity)

Butterflies taste with their feet.
...(Something I always wanted to know.)

The strongest muscle in the body is the tongue.
...(Hmmmmmm......yup, that figures!)

Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than left-handed people.
...(If you're ambidextrous, do you split the difference?)

Elephants are the only animals that cannot jump.
...(okay, so that would be a good thing.)

A cat's urine glows under a black light.
...(I wonder who was paid to figure that out?)

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
...(I know some people like that.)

Starfish have no brains
...(I know some people like that too.)

Polar bears are left-handed.
...(If they switch, they'll live a lot longer)

Humans and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure.
...(What about that pig??)