Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Local News

Notices

Old 08-18-2007, 08:25 AM   #16
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 0 salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough
redemption
salguodgrubmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:35 AM   #17
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 272 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
I would be curious to know how the victims family and friends felt about this.
Chances are they are deceased thus making it easier for Blanco to release him without any backlash from the family.

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:19 AM   #18
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Time for Blanco to place her apron back on and go make cookies like a good granny. I think that is all the woman can do.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #19
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
Ehh, I'm OK with releasing 73 year old inmates. Keeps us from having to pay for their housing and medical care in what is sure to me the most expensive stage of their lives. Medicare is cheaper than prison.
I'm not OK with it. My uncle was shot dead, and in order to avoid the death penalty, the murderer plea bargained for life without parole. I understand that this was to save money of a trial and execution which can cost more than life in prison. Either way he won't be able to repeat the crime.

The thought of Blanco releasing such a murderer chills my blood. Nobody is above our justice system, especially a governer or president. You really get to know what a politician is really made of during their last few days in office.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #20
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle View Post
This man has obviously turned his life around. He has been able to even impact the inmates around him as much as that is possible. I believe he deserves the chance to get out and share his story. You never know what life he can touch and perhaps make a difference. Just because he committed one murder doesn't make him a serial killer. Furthermore, God forgives us shouldn't we forgive him and allow him to move forward?
If true, I am glad he turned his life around. That might save his soul. I'm glad he has been able to impact other inmates and that should remain his calling if he is truely repentent for the murder he committed. He can share his story all he wants behind bars. I don't know how the first amendment applies to murderers, but whatever. I hope he gets a book deal and gives the money to the victims. I hope he does touch other inmates lives and make a difference. Maybe he can serve as a model for other inmates. He is not just in prison as punishment, but also to serve as an example to the general public to make people think twice before committing murder. I do hope God and the survivors forgive him. Forgiveness is one thing but restoring all freedom is another. The recidivism rate for violent criminals is not good, and judges have a responsibility to keep murderers off the streets.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:14 PM   #21
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
I am so happy to know you have a warm fuzzy Sal. Must be the bleeding heart in you that keeps you so warm. Have a wife or children ? How would you feel if someone killed one of them by bashing their head in ? Would you feel compassion for the poooooooooooooor murderer ? The compassion is for the family of the victim not the sorry bastard that killed their family member. I am sure you feel different than I do and in America we call that choice. In the Bible it is called choice and it yours to make.
yes as Christians we should feel great compassion for this person in jail for murder. I wish the whole thing didn't happen to begin with. But it did happen, and Christians should pray for his soul that it be forgiven and saved. His life on earth hasn't necessarily been wasted in prison. Who did Jesus hang with? Kings and politicians? or the downtrodden seeking spiritual nourishment? Perhaps this person can save others who went down the same path. Prisoners should be treated with compassion and decency and not tortured or spit upon like 2000 years ago. (and even in some parts of the world today) I hope he is comfortable and fed well and able to help other inmates to feel the same.

But mankind and society also has its laws and murder is right up top of the bad list. I would agree to letting out white collar criminals or drug criminals before freeing murderers who may have turned their lives around while in prison. I'd even agree to let Edwards out first.

But compassion doesn't stop with the inmate. I also have compassion towards wouldbe victims. The loss of an innocent relative is undescribable. I pray no one ever has to experience a sudden death to a family member. And how about the inmates compassion towards his role as a convicted murderer in society? Surely he doesn't want all such inmates to be released? Just himself right? Or does he?

Now if it is proven that he physically cannot commit another murder or violent act, due to a physical illness or stroke, etc., then sure let him out. But as long as he is capable of murder, I see no reason to erase all the work of the court system, prosecuters, judges, juries, evidence, sentencing, etc. that work so hard to deter crime and maintain relative peace in society.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:34 PM   #22
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 272 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
Time for Blanco to place her apron back on and go make cookies like a good granny. I think that is all the woman can do.
Gotta problem with cookie bakers???That always seems to be a hit at my house!I can do other things but would NOT even want to try to run the state of LA!!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:09 PM   #23
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz View Post
yes as Christians we should feel great compassion for this person in jail for murder. I wish the whole thing didn't happen to begin with. But it did happen, and Christians should pray for his soul that it be forgiven and saved. His life on earth hasn't necessarily been wasted in prison. Who did Jesus hang with? Kings and politicians? or the downtrodden seeking spiritual nourishment? Perhaps this person can save others who went down the same path. Prisoners should be treated with compassion and decency and not tortured or spit upon like 2000 years ago. (and even in some parts of the world today) I hope he is comfortable and fed well and able to help other inmates to feel the same.

But mankind and society also has its laws and murder is right up top of the bad list. I would agree to letting out white collar criminals or drug criminals before freeing murderers who may have turned their lives around while in prison. I'd even agree to let Edwards out first.

But compassion doesn't stop with the inmate. I also have compassion towards wouldbe victims. The loss of an innocent relative is undescribable. I pray no one ever has to experience a sudden death to a family member. And how about the inmates compassion towards his role as a convicted murderer in society? Surely he doesn't want all such inmates to be released? Just himself right? Or does he?

Now if it is proven that he physically cannot commit another murder or violent act, due to a physical illness or stroke, etc., then sure let him out. But as long as he is capable of murder, I see no reason to erase all the work of the court system, prosecuters, judges, juries, evidence, sentencing, etc. that work so hard to deter crime and maintain relative peace in society.
If they are guilty of murder one then the gallows Not long term care nothing but a dirt nap. Every man has to search his own soul about what he or she believes just like me and you. You take a life with malice and then a eye for a eye
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote