Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Local News

Notices

Old 12-18-2006, 07:44 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post What Should Be Done With School Bullies?

Elm Grove Middle School parent Tonya Connory is pushing the Bossier Parish School Board to adopt a standard procedure to get tough with school bullies.

Her son Hunter doesn't want to go attend school most days because he's been beaten up at school and on the school bus numerous times, Connory said during the School Board's regular session meeting Dec. 7. And, aside from a trip to in-school suspension, nothing had been done about it, even after Connory said she'd spoken to her child's school bus driver and assistant principal.
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:53 AM   #2
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Why are we assuming this is the work of bullies? Maybe her kid just sucks.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:54 PM   #3
Cichlid Man

Maybe her kid just sucks.

I do not know all the facts on this problem but I think just as we are teaching them how to be "good adults" they should know the law. Assault is assault even if you are under 18 and they should take them down town for a visit and that will get the attention of the parents if they have a day in court.
I have had my daughter kick out of school for a day for telling a boy that if he did not leave her alone she was going to kill him. He lives next door to us and they bicker all the time and they are 13 years old. She had to do the time and that was wrong. It would seem that in bullies would have to go to Angola after that experience.
Cichlid Man
Old 12-18-2006, 02:03 PM   #4
kansast
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 226 kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about
one of my boys was suspended for a day, for getting into a fight, even though it was agreed upon by everyone that he did not start it.

I have no desire for my kids to be picked on at all at school. Have no desire for them to be involved in any fights as well.. from what I've heard it's simply a strict policy of NO FIGHTING of any kind is allowed, and any involvement results in a suspension.

Seems kind of a tough situation for a kid in school though. If you are getting "picked" on, your choices are to stand up for yourself, and risk suspension or hope the other kid gets "Caught" and just stand there and take it.
kansast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:46 AM   #5
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 319 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Stand up for yourself is good

I think as a parent I would tell my child to take it to the bus driver or teacher and to me the parent and if the school would do anything about it I would have to give some self defence lessons and how to fight back. No I would not tell my child to start anything but if he or she must fight back and take the heat and the bullie would go down too. There will always be bullies in life and the sooner you learn to stand up to them the sooner they will leave you alone. Bullies love people that cut bait and run. This may not be PC but it is how I feel and how as child I delt with a bullie when I was young.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:26 PM   #6
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 236 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
I have had first hand experience for my child being bullied by 3 guys and I didn't take it too lightly. I pressed charges for the assault/battery on my child and didn't think twice when I was asked if I wanted to do this. The best part was the kids were football players, last year of high school, were the 3 on the football team you didn't want missing the game, and also the coach was also the vice principal of the school so guess how well that went over? Of course it was originally a slap on the wrist and that's when I lost it. My 5'2" son at the time was hit in the face for no reason by 2 6' + guys and of course the other joined in but he wasnt far behind 6', my 5'2" self went to school and belive me I would have kicked all their asses if someone didn't do something about the situation. My child did nothing and I can say that honestly. I had one that I lived in the office year after year and the other just kept to himself.

As an adult I would and did teach my children to stand up for themselves but never start anything, and walk away if you can but if hit upon make sure you lay them out because no matter what you do if you are hit and you hit you are getting suspended. Bullies are mean and cruel and if I could have beat the hell out of those seniors that year believe me I would have. I have zero tolerance for them.
scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:41 PM   #7
MattyMattyChooChoo

Rep Power: 0 MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice
I like the scene from the movie "The Bells of St. Mary's" with Bing Crosby. Two boys are in a fight, one boy wallops that other. The one who lost takes boxing lessons from the nun and wins the next fight with the bully. The two boys become friends.

Why is it such a big deal nowadays? Now teachers call 911 and press charges when a kid brings a plastic knife to cut his food. People get sued, fired, arrested, etc. What's the big deal? Our society is so good at overreacting when boys (and I do mean boys) are aggressive toward each other. Society surpresses aggression to the point that the only time boys are aggressive, they kill or maim. There's no balance.

We used to play football in the neighborhood, and actually tried to smash each other to bits. If a bully came around, Dad tought me to punch the bully right back. Now you're a bad parent for teaching your kid to stand up for himself.
MattyMattyChooChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:41 PM   #8
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 270 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett
As an adult I would and did teach my children to stand up for themselves but never start anything, and walk away if you can but if hit upon make sure you lay them out because no matter what you do if you are hit and you hit you are getting suspended. Bullies are mean and cruel and if I could have beat the hell out of those seniors that year believe me I would have. I have zero tolerance for them.
you tell 'em Scarlett !! LOL hope you gave 'em hell !

LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:54 PM   #9
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 249 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
I simply tell my kid this: "Fight the bastard! The worst that can happen is you'll get your ass kicked, and life'll deal ya much worse than that in the years to come! If ya let the bully punk ya out, you'll never forgive yourself...you'll always wish you'd fought him. Even if ya lose the fight, you'll reflect on it with pride later on! They can kick your ass, but they cant take away your honor! If the school comes down on ya, I'll back ya up...oh, and one more thing...kick him in the nads or punch him in the solar plexus...either one will end the fight instantly."
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:51 AM   #10
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 319 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
kick him in the nads or punch him in the solar plexus

Hey Al that is GREAT ! I like your thoughts on the whole thing. Go down fighting not running away.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:12 PM   #11
MattyMattyChooChoo

Rep Power: 0 MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice
Thanks William Wallace (Al).
MattyMattyChooChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:10 PM   #12
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 249 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Talking <takes a bow>

kerblahhhhhhhhhh kerblahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 12-20-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote