View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 10:14 AM   #29
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 268 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Some quotes

Quote:
"If the right of secession be denied...and the denial enforced by the sword of coercion; the nature of the polity is changed, and freedom is at its end. It is no longer a government by consent, but a government of force. Conquest is substituted compact, and the dream of liberty is over." --Albert Taylor Bledsoe,

Quote:
Make no mistake, the NAACP boycott is no longer about putting historical emblems in proper historical perspective-it's about blotting them out of existence. But what next? Shall we eliminate the graves of fallen Confederate soldiers? Shall we pretend they never existed? --Greenville [South Carolina] News,
You know. the more I read about this. I do believe, that leading up to the civil war.. MUCH of the debate, did have to do with slavery. New states were being formed, southern states wanted them to be entered into the Union as slave states. The debate on slavery had started LONG before the civil war. But I would also add, that once the southern states seceded from the Union.. the war became about restoring the Union as a whole.. RIGHT OR WRONG. (as far as the north was concerned. the south's goal.. to be left alone... )

Quote:
"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and it is not either to save or destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone, I would also do that. What I do about slavery and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union." --Abraham Lincoln in an 1862 letter to Horace Greeley on his justification for the Northern War of Aggression against the constitutional secession of the South. In September 1862
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote