View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 08:27 PM   #49
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 249 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
LOL, you're my kind of gal, Pie. Talk about self-sufficiency! Give her a gun and a knife and she could live off the land! One time when we were kids, my younger brother, a few of his friends and myself went campin in the area behind Curtis Elementary...must've been 26 or 27 years ago. When mornin came, we hadn't brought any food along with us, so my brother took a few regular old blackbirds with his .22, cleaned em, roasted em on a spit over an open fire, and although I was a bit apprehensive about it, we ate em. And I'll tell ya, I dont know if we were just hungry or what, but they sure tasted great. Hell, Pie, I bet ya could even make a fire without matches, lighters or a magnesium bar. Which reminds me of another childhood memory...I'd get the magnifyin glass from my dad's desk and go lay out on the sidewalk, burnin ants or whatever hapless insect happened to catch my eye. Or I'd get some tissue or notebook paper and set it afire with the glass. Got to be pretty good at it. These days, I carry a small Bausch & Lomb Tri-Lense multipower pocket magnifyin glass in my manpurse, which is about the size of a large marble ...just in case. If you're really smart and ya dont mind partin with about $70, Victorinox makes a Swiss Army Knife called "The Champ", and among other useful tools, it has a magnifyin glass. A nice lil investment that just might save your life one of these days. I carried one in my army days, but the damned thing grew some legs and I never saw it again.
Whe I was probably 7 we use to camp out on Black Lake. We didn't have tents, it was a mosquito bar with cots under it. Then dad built a camp with a screened it cook shed seperate for fish frying. I use to get in the alumiun boat and paddle down the channel fishing. Kept the baby brim for the drop hooks and trot lines, when I would get too far away dad would come in another boat and pull us back closer to the camp. Damn if I still don't prefer an alumium boat over a big rig to this day My dad has a bass rig and he tells me to drive it but I say no because I can get into places with the littler boat that the bass boat can't. My brother went out in his ski boat one time while I was fishing in the alumium boat. His boat quit and I pulled him back to shore with nothing but a trolling motor. Another time I was out fishing and vetured too far for the trolling motor because the battery died so I started paddling. Damn if I didn't get caught in a rain storm and all I could do was laugh, it was so funny. Got wet but I laugh.