View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 07:44 PM   #48
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 247 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720 View Post
Al it was most definitely the .22 because you had to be able to shot that coon between the eyes in the dark. It was good pratice. The .410 was first squirrel gun. Then I went to a .16 guage the on up. Old saying first crawl then walk, but I loved every minute. I have done every kind of hunting and fishing around this part. I use to kill a rabbit then go to the lake, clean it , build a fire, put some sticks up, a little salt and pepper then roast it over open fire. So good it would make you want to slap your mama.
LOL, you're my kind of gal, Pie. Talk about self-sufficiency! Give her a gun and a knife and she could live off the land! One time when we were kids, my younger brother, a few of his friends and myself went campin in the area behind Curtis Elementary...must've been 26 or 27 years ago. When mornin came, we hadn't brought any food along with us, so my brother took a few regular old blackbirds with his .22, cleaned em, roasted em on a spit over an open fire, and although I was a bit apprehensive about it, we ate em. And I'll tell ya, I dont know if we were just hungry or what, but they sure tasted great. Hell, Pie, I bet ya could even make a fire without matches, lighters or a magnesium bar. Which reminds me of another childhood memory...I'd get the magnifyin glass from my dad's desk and go lay out on the sidewalk, burnin ants or whatever hapless insect happened to catch my eye. Or I'd get some tissue or notebook paper and set it afire with the glass. Got to be pretty good at it. These days, I carry a small Bausch & Lomb Tri-Lense multipower pocket magnifyin glass in my manpurse, which is about the size of a large marble ...just in case. If you're really smart and ya dont mind partin with about $70, Victorinox makes a Swiss Army Knife called "The Champ", and among other useful tools, it has a magnifyin glass. A nice lil investment that just might save your life one of these days. I carried one in my army days, but the damned thing grew some legs and I never saw it again.

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 11-21-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote