View Single Post
Old 08-07-2006, 08:12 PM   #3
Cadenza

Rep Power: 0 Cadenza will become famous soon enough Cadenza will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Cadenza
Unhappy Snow days

Although we have a few "snow days" built into the schedule, we almost never use them. I grew up on the Texas coast and we always started in September. I think you could bake cookies in my classroom right now, without a stove or microwave. It isn't so bad in the "wings" where the A/C is central air. But those of us with window units really suffer.

It is also freezing cold on those rare days that the temp drops below normal in winter. My main heater doesn't work and they can't seem to fix it. I just ask the office to announce for the children to be sure they wear coats to music class. I have a small annex type heater that actually looks like a window unit A/C, but it takes all day to make a difference. If it is bitter cold, they will bring in a gas style heater and hope the fire marshall doesn't show up and discover the violation.

I finally invested over $250 of my own money in a remote microphone unit. I was always getting laryngitis trying to talk over the window unit's noise. At least they seem to have finally fixed the leaky roof and got rid of the termites, at least the ones that were visibly swarming.