View Single Post
Old 04-29-2007, 10:03 AM   #14
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
The browser "problem" is that IE is very forgiving of code errors, Firefox is not. So if you view something that looks good in IE but then is messed up in Firefox, then there's an error in your code or at the very least, it's not W3C compliant
Yeah, I've heard that before. But in my opinion, a browser should be a little forgiving because HTML, PHP, and CSS syntax are very loose. Here's a simple example.

I like using fieldsets on some objects on my site because the LEGEND tag looks great as a generic block header. You can probably tell that vBulletin uses them too for the same reason. In IE, a fieldset is treated as a block object, so the fieldset block will adjust in height and width to make room for whatever is inside it if the content is bigger than the established fieldset width.

In Firefox, however, when you set the width of a fieldset, the block STAYS at that exact width. Now what happens if your content gets too big for the block? The content actually span across the fieldset's border and hang out. Some could call this a programming error, but unexpected lengths of data happen in dynamic programming all the time.