View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 08:14 AM   #40
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
sigh...

ignore |igˈnôr| verb [ trans. ] refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally :

yes, you have to notice something, in order to ignore it..
To ignore a snake, might mean, if you see a snake slithers into a pile of leaves, I'll ignore it by not jumping into the leaves as I intended.

That's called incorrect usage of a term and specifically why educated individuals like myself and THE DOCTOR didn't use the term "ignore". Again, why shouldn't I question the intelligence level of those applauding your comments?

What you have done is not bother the snake.

Main Entry: 1both·er
Pronunciation: 'bä-[th]&r
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): both·ered; both·er·ing /'bä[th]-ri[ng], 'bä-[th]&-/
Etymology: origin unknown
transitive verb
1 : to annoy especially by petty provocation : IRK
2 : to intrude upon : PESTER

3 : to cause to be somewhat anxious or concerned <my stomach is bothering me> -- often used interjectionally

Intelligent people don't ignore biting animals, but they don't bother them either, and I'm betting not one of you can recall a time where you advised anyone to ignore a snake rather than alerting them to the exact location of said animal.

It's not as simple as having to notice it in order to ignore it....this is an animal that we, as well as most other creatures on the planet, are instinctively wary of, and you would have to put forth and extremely fool hardy effort to ignore any snake. Even in your example, one assumes in order to have a pile of leaves that you are raking the yard. Are you going to pick up the pile of leaves without first checking for the snake or will you truly ignore the animal and the potential danger it presents?