Thread: Bird Migration
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 12:25 AM   #13
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpahurl View Post
The finch bag is pretty cool. Only put thistles in it. Gold finches, House finches, chickadees and titmouse can feed on this. That Pileated Woodpecker is very common here. Those are awesome. Red Bellied woodpeckers will eat out of a hanging or stationairy feeder. Red Headed woodpeckers prefer tall dead trees with alot of open space. I had two last fall at my house for the first time. I live in south S'port and my back yard backs up to two bayous. I get alot of stuff you normally would not get in town. As far as the Gadwall go, they are more common now than ever before. A common problem with feeding birds is filling your hanging feeder with mixed seed. This seed needs to be spread on the ground or on a platform. Sunflower seed or plain millet should only be put in hanging feeders. The results are instant.
yeah the finches are fun. Woodpeckers are cool as long as they are not rapping on my chimney! I'm near a large pond and that helps bring in some unusual creatures. Bluebirds and hummingbirds are two more favorites that haven't been mentioned yet. I have been successful at attracting hummers with flowers and feeders, but bluebirds are a random sighting for me. I even enjoy watching bats feed on insects in the summer.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote