View Single Post
Old 10-25-2007, 12:25 PM   #8
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.nc View Post
Ok - good ideas - even the pre-order from the smokehouse. Just as I was opening thread to check it my wife remembered Hickory Stick
Behind every good man there is a better woman. Mrs. Isaac is a great cook and has many family recipes that she has perfected over the years.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1677

http://ask.yahoo.com/20001123.html

What's in turkey meat that makes you sleepy?
Keith
San Bernadino, California

Dear Keith:
We'd always heard that post-turkey lethargy was a result of a natural chemical found in turkey, the same one that makes a glass of warm milk such a touted sleep aid.
We were surprised when we found a page of turkey tidbits at the University of Illinois Extension site that asserted, "Eating turkey does not cause you to feel sleepy after your Thanksgiving dinner. Carbohydrates in your Thanksgiving dinner are the likely cause of your sleepiness."

Not willing to write this off as a culinary urban myth, we moved on. Dr. Weil, a popular health guru, seemed to confirm our long-held belief, at least intially. He affirmed that the amino acid L-tryptophan found in turkey skin is a natural sedative. But, the good doctor points out that this probably isn't the cause of post-turkey sleepiness:

L-tryptophan doesn't act on the brain unless you take it on an empty stomach with no protein present. So I don't think the amino acid is to blame for the sudden lethargy that hits just about when it's time to do dishes. That's more likely due to drinking alcohol and overeating...
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote