View Single Post
Old 11-27-2006, 07:17 PM   #6
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 247 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
I've been giving this Michael Richards thing more thought than it deserves, perhaps, but the more I think about it, the more sympathetic I become to this poor guy's misfortune. This politically correct, forced apology business only further demeans the man, and nobody buys the "path to healing" garbage anyway. I think he SHOULD apologize for the racial epithets, but without all the kowtowing and groveling. As long as we're all apologizing, I'd like an apology, on behalf of all European Americans, from "Public Enemy", "Ice Cube", "Apache" and "Heat" and all of the other rap and hip-hop groups who's songs include lyrics along the lines of "lets kill whitey and rape his women". Richards is getting raked over the coals just like Mel Gibson, and rightly so...but how about some reciprocity from the black community? White people dont have a monopoly on racism. Think about it...what could be more humiliating than to be bombing miserably with your stand-up routine, but THEN having somebody call attention to that in the rudest way possible? Besides accidently passing gas on a crowded elevator, I mean. As long as there have been people addressing large groups, there have been hecklers, but it seems the very height of rudeness. If you dont like or agree with what the speaker is saying you can demand a refund (if you paid) and simply leave! A good solution to this problem might be to have security waiting in the wings, ready to man-handle and forcibly remove the offenders in the most embarrassing manner, making it easier for the speaker to save face, brush off the incident with a witty remark and resume speaking. There'd be a whole lot less heckling goin on if the heckler knew he or she would be dragged out of the building by the ears.

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 11-28-2006 at 03:39 AM.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote