Thread: Bird Migration
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 09:17 PM   #11
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Purpa, I'm a total amateur compared to you. but we do feed birds in the winter most years. I have a "finch bag" with thistle and also a seed feeder on a pole with the usual mixture of safflower, millet, sunflower, etc. We use a pair of binaculars to get a good view. We get a pretty good mixture dispite the fact that we keep the feeders stocked 24/7... Only finches will stick to the thistle bag. We get "golden finches" I do believe. Again, I'm not much for looking stuff up.

However we do get these bigass woodpeckers out here.. Pileated Woodpecker? They are huge.

Name:  pileatedwoodpecker2sm.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  11.5 KB

We also see red-belly and red-head woodies... But I miss the ducks on Cross Lake the most. Grey ducks (Gadwalls) and woodducks.. Lots of water turkeys (cormorants) which seem to be ever present.

the White Herrings out on Cross Lake are specticle. Especially when they go poop. Like dumping a quart of white paint on the rooftops of boat houses...
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote