View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 09:57 PM   #32
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Driver recalls fatal accident

Was reading this article on KTBS Driver recalls fatal accident

the driver was not charged for the accident.

Quote:
He said he was driving his pickup south at about 45 mph. The speed limit is 50 mph. The boy ran from the northbound shoulder of the highway toward two boys who had stopped in the center of the five-lane highway. Small said B.J. paused for a second when he reached the boys but kept running.
Quote:
In October, city officials asked for a study to see if the speed limit could be lowered to 45 mph. The state highway department concluded it wasn't a good idea but recommended that police increase enforcement of the 50-mph limit.

"Speed studies determine what drivers feel are safe and comfortable speeds for area roads," said John Sanders, the department's district administrator. "And that particular study determined that 85 percent of the drivers perceived 50 mph is safe."

The study also found that 85 percent of northbound vehicles traveled at or below 62 miles an hour, while 85 percent of southbound traffic moved at 57 miles an hour.

Granted the poor kid shouldn't have running into the street etc.. but I drive by this section everyday.. I guarandamnteeya.. ain't nobody doing less than 60mph.. and cars blaze past me there going faster than that.. and the danger is this is that section headed north, where on north market/71 you can veer left and get onto hwy 1 north..
its like a big S curve.. and when you come out of that curve.. there's almost ALWAYS someone trying to cross the street there.. it occurrs to me everyday, that I'm surprised there aren't more accidents there. Kids play along the street there all the time, and people walking along the edge of the highway all the time.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote