View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 05:00 PM   #4
Cadenza

Rep Power: 0 Cadenza will become famous soon enough Cadenza will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Cadenza
Logical

Windshop is right about there being a "logical" way of filling a bus IF you are dealing with adults. With children, there have to be other considerations such as whether some have to sit apart because they will fight or get into some other mischief when together. I don't know whether this incident is a civil rights violation or not. I hope they get to the bottom of it because it should be addressed if it is, and if not, this driver should be exonerated.

I will say this. I am a music teacher and I believe in treating all children with equal respect. Race should NEVER be a consideration in any decision. That said, I have been accused of racism when I was totally innocent. Some people can see racism in everything. For instance, I always allow any child who wants to audition for solos. One year it just happened that at the Christmas concert, the only two soloists were Black children because they were the best singers. (I never even thought about it and had no complaints from white parents.) Both of these students moved away during the year. In the spring, five of seven soloists were white children and two were Black. Our student population is probably 95% white and other, 5% Black. I never even thought of the racial factor until a Black employee accused me of racism. Even after I pointed out that at Christmas 100% of the solos were sung by Black children, she refused to admit that I chose them only on the basis of their audition. In my opinion, she was the one being racist. Fortunately, after years of knowing me, she now knows where I stand and we are friends.

When the opportunity presents itself, I teach my students that no matter what color our skin may be, we all bleed red. In other words, we are all the same on the inside where it counts.

Unfortunately, racism still exists among both populations. But it has to be taught! Our little children walk hand in hand around the playground many in a black/white pair or group. They don't even seem aware there is any difference until about third grade. They are aware of the boy girl thing way before that. We must ALL, all of us of any race, teach tolerance and not instill these absurd prejudices in innocent children.