View Single Post
Old 06-08-2007, 09:15 AM   #19
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 259 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
You said about 9,000 Freshmen move to Natchitoches each year, about half of whom were women. I was giving the actual numbers: about 1,471 people meet those criteria so nobody was utilizing incorrect figures to make decisions or form opinions.

The census numbers for Natchitoches don't include students from outside Natchitoches, so you have to add those to the total to figure percentages. And my population numbers were just for the people in the actual city limits. The Natchitoches MSA (which I believe includes students, but I could be wrong) is (as of 2004 census estimates) 38,741, meaning about 3.8% of the population meets your criteria of (incoming female Freshman) if you consider "Natchitoches" to mean the Natchitoches MSA instead of the actual city limits. If you just include the people inside the city limits (a number of about 25,000 once you include NSU students) it's about 5.8%.

You now seem to be talking about all female students affected by the law instead. Let's look at those actual numbers:

NSU has (as of Fall 2006) 3,375 total students age 20 or under. This includes the Scholar's College (which only has 108 students total of any age/sex), grad students (NSU only has 61 of those), and part-time non-degree-seeking students. I don't have the non-undergrads broken down by sex, but there's no reason to think it deviates much from the 68% female rate, especially since undergrads make up the bulk of the under-21 students. That would be 2,295 under-21 female students. That's ~9% of people inside the actual city limits (a population, including students, of around 25,000) or ~6% of "Natchitoches" as most people consider it.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote