View Single Post
Old 07-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #21
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Rhertz, I understand your point over petty lawsuits with no merit. My husband is being sued now by our daughter's ex roommate who moved out of the lease six months early. She could have signed a six month lease but talked our daughter into a one year lease because the rent would be $30 cheaper a month. She informed our daughter that she would help find the room mate to take her place. Of course she never did this and just moved out. Her daddy, a local Shreveport attorney, had to pay the rent she did not pay and now feels the need to sue us. The daughter informed her daddy that my husband, who only met her once and never had conversation with her, said he would pay ALL the rent. Now her daddy either is stupid, plain gullible, or a money grubber. I think it's all three. We've been involved in this lawsuit for two years now. They know they will never win, but continue to try to get us to write them a check. This dad even at the start of all this threatened to sublease his daughter's room and move in (and this is a direct quote), "A black criminal man and we'll see if her daddy wants to pay this". We will never give a cent to a man who would make such threats. P.S. He is a former city official

I tell you that story because we truly understand a petty, frivolous lawsuit with no merit. It can cost the innocent party much. However, this woman was wronged more than once by the same company. I do believe there was a simpler way to handle this. She had choices. McDonald's by Federal Law is required to accommodate people with disabilities. Why didn't they at least try? Probably because they mostly have minimum wage workers with little education and no compassion. After the first time it happened, she didn't have to back to McDonald's. I sure wouldn't or I would find a way to resolve the matter if I did. The woman could have worked with the proper people in her state to turn them over for a Federal violation. Also, the media is a great outlet to get change. I would have given my story to a local reporter. They'd have loved it, and McDonald's would have been shamed into changing.

I do believe that there are two many lawsuits. Far too many and there are much better ways to resolve issues than this. I would love to see a law passed that if you sue someone over such matters as these and lose, you have to pay the legal expenses for the other party. I think a lot of people would not be so sue happy.
As a businessman, I cannot accomodate 100% of the public. If I make 95% happy, I think that is a success. I have hired both blind and quadraplegic staff before so I think I do my part on the hiring end, but I'm sure that there is some affliction out there that I or my staff cannot deal with. The thought that I could be sued for being less than perfect is pretty scary.....
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote