Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hobbies & Crafts (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Keeping live coral aquariums (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523)

Cichlid Man 12-13-2006 08:39 AM

Keeping live coral aquariums

Anybody out there keep live coral ? Very fun hobby that can be done all year long no matter the weather. Fun to learn about and not that hard to keep them in a home aquarium. Some people frag coral which is to propagate small
pieces and then they trade or sell them.
Cichlid Man

Old Soul 03-19-2007 12:50 PM

I do! I have several reef tanks. Facinating, aren't they?

Cichlid Man 03-19-2007 12:58 PM

Old soul just how long have you been in the hobby ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Soul
I do! I have several reef tanks. Facinating, aren't they?

I have been doing it for years and they just keep getting better filtration and lighting so the kind of corals that we get are getting better too. I have a 270 gallon reef tank and one that is a 125 gallon all coral . Do you do any fraging of corals?
Cichlid Man

Old Soul 03-19-2007 01:22 PM

No, I'm not at that level of expertise yet. LOL. I did manage to get sea horses to breed in captivity though!

Neo 03-19-2007 01:47 PM

I have a 135 reef tank, but no sea horses. I have not had good experiences with seahorses. Do you find your coral and fish local or on the web?

Old Soul 03-19-2007 02:00 PM

The secret to sea horses is in what you feed them. I stay away from brine shrimp, I find they pollute the water more than anything else. I keep a 10 gallon for live food such as grass shrimp and feeder guppies. I feed the shrimp and guppies marine flakes. I scoop out a few shrimp and guppies, a few times a day to feed the sea horses with.

I ordered the sea horses but I can't remember the company. It was a few years ago. I ordered about 10 and split it with a few friends. They all fed brine shrimp and their horses died within months. None of theirs bred.

Brutus 04-11-2007 09:52 PM

I am new to the North Louisiana and would like to know were are the best places to purchase a reef ready tank and coral in the Shreveport/Bossier area. Thank you for your help!

Texasbelle 04-11-2007 10:19 PM

If you look on this board, there is an advertisement for Aquarium Concepts. It's a great store. The owner is a very nice man and very helpful. We have a tank at my husband's office and Aquarium Concepts takes care of it. We have used them for years and never been anything but pleased. Good luck. I think the phone number is 318 798 3474 and it's on E. 70th Street.

Isaac-Saxxon 04-12-2007 02:12 PM

Yea that pet store owner has poor Nemo traped in a box

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
If you look on this board, there is an advertisement for Aquarium Concepts. It's a great store. The owner is a very nice man and very helpful. We have a tank at my husband's office and Aquarium Concepts takes care of it. We have used them for years and never been anything but pleased. Good luck. I think the phone number is 318 798 3474 and it's on E. 70th Street.

Nemo and Dorie are doing time in the box and it is a life sentence :glomp:
if they could just make it back to the sea they would be OK could some one please help poor Nemo and Dorie :laugh:
Attachment 282 Attachment 283
Isaac Saxxon

Cichlid Man 04-12-2007 02:25 PM

Cichlid Man here did I hear someone say FISH

Always best to buy your fish and coral where you can view them up close. On line coral and fish can be as tricky as ebay. Aquarium Concepts and other local retailers have livestock for you to look at. It will not take long to figure out who keeps the best tanks one stroll through and you have it. The Petco and Petsmart do not carry marine livestock other than a few fish. Yes Aquarium Concepts is the place to be even for Nemo he has a good life there and does not want to leave his owner ;) So take a look at the web site on this board and call 798-FISH and talk to the Fish Doctor :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Cichlid Man reporting

AnimeSpirit 04-12-2007 02:37 PM

Anyone want some Black Mollies?!?!?!

We just had some 30 or so infant Black Mollies born just yesterday. They are still in a breeder, away from their parents. In the meantime, we'd like to start looking for people who'd like some mollies for their aquariums because we've got far too many now and only one 10-gallon tank.

They need some time to grow a little, but if anyone would like some black mollies, just let me know. I don't think we're gonna be charging for them because we gotta get rid of of them as soon as they start getting big enough.

Isaac-Saxxon 04-12-2007 02:54 PM

No mollies for me Anime but I think I found Nemo

1 Attachment(s)
Rhertz did you have anything to do with this :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Attachment 288
That is sick, sick, sick they are suppose to take the eyes out first :eek:
Isaac

rhertz 04-12-2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cichlid Man
Anybody out there keep live coral ? Very fun hobby that can be done all year long no matter the weather. Fun to learn about and not that hard to keep them in a home aquarium. Some people frag coral which is to propagate small
pieces and then they trade or sell them.

I used to have a reef tank many years ago. I followed the technology up until about 8 years ago and got to busy at home and work. But I do remember the advent of such things as "dry filters", "metal halide lamps", "calcium reactors", and so on.

Anytime I travel, I try to stop by any public aquariums that might be around. San Francisco has the Stienhard Aquarium (sp?) in Golden Gate Park. It's awesome. Went to the Wakiki Aquarium on my honeymoon 24 years ago next month.

To me, aquariums are like boats. I really enjoy them, especially when someone else owns it! But who knows, maybe someday I might get back in. Sometimes I think about a koi pond, but then my back starts hurting....

Texasbelle 04-12-2007 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Rhertz did you have anything to do with this :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Attachment 288
Isaac

Looks like something Neo would eat.:barf:

rhertz 04-12-2007 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Rhertz did you have anything to do with this.

heh, heh, heh, you know its fresh when it still has the eyes in it. If they are clear, then it's really fresh. And if they are blinking at me, then I know it is the freshest fish available!! (duck)

Sorry I hope I am not offending Cichlid Man. Just joking here..