Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Food & Dining (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Old Restaurant thread (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729)

decolady 01-02-2008 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.nc (Post 27116)
Thanks for some memories decolady !

A little off topic but any of you techsters eat at the Blue Light? There was another soul food place in Ruston I only went to once and cannot recall the name but we always went to the Blue Light.

You're welcome. Thanks to everyone here contributing to this thread. I'm really enjoying the memories, too.

When I was at Tech (72-76) we used to go to the Pitt Grill a lot. Also some Mexican food place on California in a shopping centre next to the K&B Drugstore. And Bonanza on Tuesdays, which was ladies night. On Wednesday nights after astronomy lab we went for pizza. Forget whether it was Pizza Hut or Pizza Inn, but it was also on California.

joepole 01-02-2008 08:39 AM

Kon Tiki is still open and exactly the same.

Brocatos was the last of its generation to close, but close it did about 5-ish years ago. It's a photography studio now. I think Superior Bar & Grill bought the neon fish sign.

joepole 01-02-2008 08:40 AM

...and it turned out the treasure was in Betty Virginia Park.

Pocahontas 01-02-2008 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decolady (Post 27118)
You're welcome. Thanks to everyone here contributing to this thread. I'm really enjoying the memories, too.

When I was at Tech (72-76) we used to go to the Pitt Grill a lot. Also some Mexican food place on California in a shopping centre next to the K&B Drugstore. And Bonanza on Tuesdays, which was ladies night. On Wednesday nights after astronomy lab we went for pizza. Forget whether it was Pizza Hut or Pizza Inn, but it was also on California.

Another soul food place in Ruston in addition to Blue Light is Sweet Peas both are still there. Also the Mexican Restaurant was El Pollinos..."Table for Two"....the same girl seated us for years and we had her voice inflection down to a tee. Bonanza is now a shoe store. Pitt Grill has been long gone. Do y'all remember Munchies sandwich shop and Al's Taco Grande (the only place open after midnight?) They were good but both gone. Restaurants have struggled there for years!
But guess what they are starting to get chains! They have a Chili's and an Applebee's! Times are a changing indeed!:D

joepole 01-02-2008 09:50 AM

Why would anyone purposely eat at a TGI Friday's? Especially if there are any other restaurants open.

rhertz 01-02-2008 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 27130)
Why would anyone purposely eat at a TGI Friday's? Especially if there are any other restaurants open.

I dunno but the parking lot looks packed all the time, even on New Years Day. I haven't eatten at a TGI Fridays since the 70's down in Baton Rouge.. All those places were good back then, even Chili's. But by the time decades pass and they make their way to Shreveport, it's not the same.

decolady 01-02-2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz (Post 27135)
I dunno but the parking lot looks packed all the time, even on New Years Day. I haven't eatten at a TGI Fridays since the 70's down in Baton Rouge.. All those places were good back then, even Chili's. But by the time decades pass and they make their way to Shreveport, it's not the same.

Oh I remember TGI Friday's in Baton Rouge then, too. There was another similar place across College Drive, but the name escapes me. We used to call them the fern bars. Girls night out and strawberry daquiris. :-)

j.nc 01-02-2008 06:51 PM

The other Ruston soul food place i was trying to recall was Bea's.. Mrs j.nc remembered.

Pocahontas 01-02-2008 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.nc (Post 27160)
The other Ruston soul food place i was trying to recall was Bea's.. Mrs j.nc remembered.

Of course!!! I couldn't think of it either. Good job mrs. j.nc!

j.nc 01-02-2008 10:41 PM

While still on the subject of Ruston... I heard that Stow's closed, may be closing, or is at least for sale. :(

RIP Stow's, a home away from home.

Pocahontas 01-03-2008 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.nc (Post 27178)
While still on the subject of Ruston... I heard that Stow's closed, may be closing, or is at least for sale. :(

RIP Stow's, a home away from home.

Stow's is gone, but Sundown is still there and Rabb's appears to be a newer hangout. They get alot of famous folks to come to Rabb's too! I'm amazed at the talent that comes there....Gary Alan, Miranda Lambert, Dirks Bently, Willie Nelson etc....

purpahurl 01-03-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 27129)
Another soul food place in Ruston in addition to Blue Light is Sweet Peas both are still there. Also the Mexican Restaurant was El Pollinos..."Table for Two"....the same girl seated us for years and we had her voice inflection down to a tee. Bonanza is now a shoe store. Pitt Grill has been long gone. Do y'all remember Munchies sandwich shop and Al's Taco Grande (the only place open after midnight?) They were good but both gone. Restaurants have struggled there for years!
But guess what they are starting to get chains! They have a Chili's and an Applebee's! Times are a changing indeed!:D

Seems like they have a Super 1 where a nice old house used to be also. The times have been changing.:(

Isaac-Saxxon 01-03-2008 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by purpahurl (Post 27194)
Seems like they have a Super 1 where a nice old house used to be also. The times have been changing.:(

Know what not to say and when not to say it :confused:
Attachment 2041

vixweb 01-06-2008 12:10 PM

I see in the paper today that Marion Spataro has died. Anyone remember Spataro's rest. in the Remington,downtown? You would if you had one of his steaks!:D Delicious! I knew him originally from when he owned "The Circle In The Square" all those years. I remember his office was COVERED in Autographs from people like Robin Trowers and Stevie Ray Vaughn, to PANTERA(who eventually met their singer in that bar!). I ran into Marion recently(actually I changed his flat for him) and he seemed in good health- Anyway, just wondering if any of yall remember him.....? :peace: