Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Local News (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   KTBS 3 Dropped From Dish Network Lineup (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3345)

sbl_admin 01-02-2008 10:28 AM

KTBS 3 Dropped From Dish Network Lineup

KTBS went off the air for thousands of Dish Network subscribers after the station was removed from Dish Network's programming lineup. The two companies reportedly could not come to terms on a fee agreement.

http://www.shreveport.com/forums/ima...bbbb20474b.jpg

piemaker720 01-02-2008 01:14 PM

Good thing we have Directv.:D

Pocahontas 01-02-2008 03:19 PM

We have Dishnetwork and cable. I recall this happening before and it seemed to resolve itself in a few days.

rhertz 01-02-2008 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbl_admin (Post 27132)
KTBS went off the air for thousands of Dish Network subscribers after the station was removed from Dish Network's programming lineup. The two companies reportedly could not come to terms on a fee agreement.

Dish Network sucks anyway... This story is more proof. This Christmas was my one year aniversary with Directv. Some of you may rememeber how DN missed or fouled out 5 appointments for my daughters TV hookup, including one on Christmas Day! They outsource to morons and offshore jobs every chance they get. Like Pokey says, this sort of thing happens with them every few years.

Isaac-Saxxon 01-02-2008 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz (Post 27143)
Dish Network sucks anyway... This story is more proof. This Christmas was my one year aniversary with Directv. Some of you may rememeber how DN missed or fouled out 5 appointments for my daughters TV hookup, including one on Christmas Day! They outsource to morons and offshore jobs every chance they get. Like Pokey says, this sort of thing happens with them every few years.

I have had Dish Network for years and I like it. The picture is great and the line up too. Every now and then we have had a service problem but not much. I have cable too at the house and the feed sux and programing just ok at best. rhertz you have bad fung sway :D Now ktbs just reads the net like I do and adds there help a brother comments for free. The weather is not that good and we all know that Ed likes gerbils so no news there either. :laugh: I bet ktbs will come to their knees very soon.

LateNight 01-02-2008 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon (Post 27150)
and we all know that Ed likes gerbils

:funnypost2:
Oh man.. oh man.. quote of the day right there folks LOL
:yoursign::cool:

Isabella 01-02-2008 08:41 PM

Isaac, KTBS is my favorite station. I am on cable now and if they dropped KTBS I would find a provider that has it. Our cable company is Suddenlink and I can't stand them, but I will stay as long as they have the local channels.

rhertz 01-02-2008 09:13 PM

I thought KTBS and other local channels were now available in HD for free over local airwaves with a set of HD rabbit ears?? (and an HD tuner equipped TV)

Isaac-Saxxon 01-03-2008 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabella (Post 27171)
Isaac, KTBS is my favorite station. I am on cable now and if they dropped KTBS I would find a provider that has it. Our cable company is Suddenlink and I can't stand them, but I will stay as long as they have the local channels.

I watch KTBS too Isabella. All they do is read the national news from their computer and the weather man copies the local on the eights. Oh the news part is who shot Tyrone and another drive by shooting. I get plenty of news with out Ed and Ed at KTBS telling their slant on things. I hope DISH hold them over the fire until the Ed's choke :eek:

vixweb 01-03-2008 07:29 AM

I dont watch KTBS, but for all you dish net folks out there: Come on over to Directv! The water is fine! I've had Directv for about 4 years now and I love it-especially the DVR:clap::clap:

Pocahontas 01-03-2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon (Post 27181)
I watch KTBS too Isabella. All they do is read the national news from their computer and the weather man copies the local on the eights. Oh the news part is who shot Tyrone and another drive by shooting. I get plenty of news with out Ed and Ed at KTBS telling their slant on things. I hope DISH hold them over the fire until the Ed's choke :eek:

I think Isabella is referring to other programs on Channel 3 and not just the news. The network has many good programs like Grey's Anatomy for instance.:)

joepole 01-03-2008 10:35 AM

I had DirecTV from 1998-2007 and I only (reluctantly, I can't stand Comcast) switched to cable because my Tivo was dying and DirecTV couldn't offer me a new one at any price. All they had was their own off-brand DVR that is a turd to use once you've gotten used to a good one.

rhertz 01-03-2008 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixweb (Post 27182)
I dont watch KTBS, but for all you dish net folks out there: Come on over to Directv! The water is fine! I've had Directv for about 4 years now and I love it-especially the DVR:clap::clap:

Yep I love my Directv DVR. And I think it has HD antenna input for local channels like KTBS so those programs can be recorded as well...

rhertz 01-03-2008 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 27189)
I had DirecTV from 1998-2007 and I only (reluctantly, I can't stand Comcast) switched to cable because my Tivo was dying and DirecTV couldn't offer me a new one at any price. All they had was their own off-brand DVR that is a turd to use once you've gotten used to a good one.

Did they ever come out with a HD tivo? I checked about a year ago and there was no such thing.

LateNight 01-03-2008 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz (Post 27192)
Did they ever come out with a HD tivo? I checked about a year ago and there was no such thing.

Got one over a year ago or so. it's a DirecTV/Tivo unit

it's my understanding DirecTV doesn't carry 'tivo' anymore, although my two tivo units at home work fine, one standard and one HD.

joepole 01-03-2008 02:19 PM

They came out with a HD Tivo (~$1,000) about two years ago and a cheaper ($300) one the middle of last year. There was a 20-hour Hughes-built HD DirecTV Tivo unit available a few years ago, that had scads of hardware problems and isn't offered anymore. DirecTV bought a DVR company themselves so they no longer work with Tivo.

Right now I have the "Tivo HD" which is a two-tuner CableCard model. I would have gladly paid extra to stay with DirecTV but they offered no product that satisfied my needs which were: two tuners, HD, and Tivo

LateNight 01-03-2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 27196)
They came out with a HD Tivo (~$1,000) about two years ago and a cheaper ($300) one the middle of last year. There was a 20-hour Hughes-built HD DirecTV Tivo unit available a few years ago, that had scads of hardware problems and isn't offered anymore. DirecTV bought a DVR company themselves so they no longer work with Tivo.

Right now I have the "Tivo HD" which is a two-tuner CableCard model. I would have gladly paid extra to stay with DirecTV but they offered no product that satisfied my needs which were: two tuners, HD, and Tivo

Was it the lack of two tuners or the lack of HD or the lack of Tivo that drove you off ? if it was the lack of Tivo.. is the generic DVR offered really that bad ?? I've never seen it. I know I'm so very used to my TIVO.

joepole 01-03-2008 06:31 PM

I could get any of the two I wanted, but I wanted all three. If you're used to a well-thought-out interface like Tivo then the off-brand DVRs will drive you insane.

rhertz 01-03-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 27203)
I could get any of the two I wanted, but I wanted all three. If you're used to a well-thought-out interface like Tivo then the off-brand DVRs will drive you insane.

I have never had a Tivo, therefore I do not know what I am missing, however the HD Directv DVR is much better than the Dish Network model I had before. First off, the hard drive was way more quiet. Second, it is larger. Third, it works for one year without crashing... As for features, I like what I have. I can search for upcoming viewings of a movie in case I miss something. It has never crashed in 1 year. But no it does not use fuzzy logic or psychic powers to determine what to record and what not to. I don't want that anyway. I want to pick and choose. Exactly what feature are you missing there Joe? New models and software come out all the time. Does TIVO have any software patents or something special? LOL, I figured TIVO is "open source" because of it's roots in Linux....

joepole 01-03-2008 10:41 PM

Why I needed a Tivo instead of DirecTV's DVR:

1. Automatic d/l of video podcasts
2. Amazon Unbox
3. I can schedule shows from my PC at work
3. Son I will be able to burn shows to DVD and/or watch on my PC while the wife watched something else in the den
4. It has the greatest, most ergonomic remote in consumer electronics history
5. Everything just works perfectly and exactly the way you want and expect
6. Multi-room viewing
7. A season pass feature that actually works and doesn't miss shows
8. Automatic recording of suggestions based on ratings I've given it. It actually picks stuff I like
9. My wife can understand/use it
10. I'm spoiled

j.nc 01-03-2008 10:57 PM

Can the DTV DVR skip commercials (I undersatnd TiVo did-does)? My TimeWarner DVR does not have a skip feature.

joepole 01-03-2008 11:03 PM

Tivo doesn't do it automatically, it has a FFWD feature that actually jumps back a few seconds so after you hit play again so it's super-easy to hit exactly where you want.

vixweb 01-04-2008 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 27221)

2. Amazon Unbox
3. Son I will be able to burn shows to DVD and/or watch on my PC while the wife watched something else in the den
6. Multi-room viewing
8. Automatic recording of suggestions based on ratings I've given it. It actually picks stuff I like
10. I'm spoiled

A typical joe response:
1. you got me here
2. who cares
3. I do that now.
4. right....:)
5. right....:)
6. who cares
7. Mine has never missed a show.
8. I dont want that-
9. right.....
10. right....
DirecTv RULES!!! I should be thier spokesman:laugh:

Isaac-Saxxon 01-04-2008 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixweb (Post 27230)
A typical joe response:
1. you got me here
2. who cares
3. I do that now.
4. right....:)
5. right....:)
6. who cares
7. Mine has never missed a show.
8. I dont want that-
9. right.....
10. right....
DirecTv RULES!!! I should be thier spokesman:laugh:

Joepole has been uncovered :eek:

LateNight 01-04-2008 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 27221)

2. Amazon Unbox
6. Multi-room viewing
10. I'm spoiled

I've used nothing but TIVO.. I've seen other DVR systems only briefly.. as I watched.. I was reminded of having to watch a user on a Windows system. :)

If I had to switch from Tivo.. I probably would be @#$@%

Texasbelle 01-04-2008 09:38 PM

We have DISH and have never had a problem until now. I say screw KTBS and it's owner George Sirven. He is demanding a 300% increase from DISH. Puh lease...who in the snot of us gets that kind of pay raise? I would almost feel sorry for the man if I didn't have previous knowledge of what a horses behind he is.

And let me add I'd like to shove my red stiletto up his arse if I have to miss the new episode of Grey's Anatomy!!!!!!!:shoethrow:

rhertz 01-05-2008 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle (Post 27267)
We have DISH and have never had a problem until now. I say screw KTBS and it's owner George Sirven. He is demanding a 300% increase from DISH. Puh lease...who in the snot of us gets that kind of pay raise?

George doesn't own KTBS, the Wray family does. George just runs it. He has done a great job over the years IMHO, at least up until recently... But I can't blame him for being under the kind of pressure that would require 300% increase...That is just a sign of the times is all. Not his fault for the most part.

Morpheus 01-09-2008 11:16 AM

We have dishnetwork and one of the their ill performing DVRs. We are watching HD over the air broadcasts of KTBS. They have most of the programs my wife likes to watch. I would like to know who is bringing what to the table and who is holding out.

Direct TV tried to dry hump me on an install once-so it will be a bitter pill to swallow if I have to use them. I also have a grudge against cable TV, but it's been so damn long that I can't remember what they did. Doesn't stop me from using their internet services. Besides, the picture sucked. At least it did when I lived in South Highlands. Now that I'm in a new area with new cable, maybe I'll have to give them another audition.

I might even try one of those fancy Tivo units. Do I get 10% off if I say Joepole sent me?

Texasbelle 01-09-2008 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz (Post 27292)
George doesn't own KTBS, the Wray family does. George just runs it. He has done a great job over the years IMHO, at least up until recently... But I can't blame him for being under the kind of pressure that would require 300% increase...That is just a sign of the times is all. Not his fault for the most part.

Obviously you've never worked for this man or the stories about him. You'd feel quite differently if you did. He is an a$$. And yes it is HIS fault for requesting the increase. Dish did not request it. The signal is already broadcast for free so why not pass along the signal at a reasonable rate. I don't blame the station for wanting to be paid something but seriously the man has to be reasonable. He has never been described using that adjective.

Princess Leia 01-09-2008 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle (Post 27267)
We have DISH and have never had a problem until now. I say screw KTBS and it's owner George Sirven. He is demanding a 300% increase from DISH. Puh lease...who in the snot of us gets that kind of pay raise? I would almost feel sorry for the man if I didn't have previous knowledge of what a horses behind he is.

And let me add I'd like to shove my red stiletto up his arse if I have to miss the new episode of Grey's Anatomy!!!!!!!:shoethrow:

I feel ya on the shoving of the stiletto for the new Grey's. I have waited WEEKS to see it. UGH!!!!

Texasbelle 01-09-2008 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Leia (Post 27407)
I feel ya on the shoving of the stiletto for the new Grey's. I have waited WEEKS to see it. UGH!!!!

I have a very clear feeling I will be watching this at a friend's house.

Pocahontas 01-09-2008 09:36 PM

Glad for once that we have cable and dish. Not really necessary except in cases of emergency like this! Is the new Grey's tomorrow night?

Isabella 01-10-2008 12:32 AM

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Isaac-Saxxon 01-10-2008 08:21 AM

Girls start you engines :twist: Grey's :eek:

Texasbelle 01-10-2008 01:58 PM

Pokie, are you cooking? What time should I be there and what wine should I bring????:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pocahontas 01-10-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle (Post 27439)
Pokie, are you cooking? What time should I be there and what wine should I bring????:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well this is leftover night, chili con carne, on the spicy side!;)

Morpheus 01-10-2008 05:23 PM

Oh brother, is tonight THE night? No wonder Mrs. Morph didn't want to cook tonight. I guess I'll get stuck bathing Morphette as well.

Pocahontas 01-10-2008 10:06 PM

For Belle, Isabella and Leia

How many times can Meredith and Derek break up??:rolleyes:
Izzie and George don't seem to have what it takes as a couple.:confused:

Isabella 01-10-2008 11:17 PM

I loved tonight's episode except for the Meredith and Derek part. They need to let them be a happy couple helping others. I hope they will let George and Izzie part ways and just be friends. Bailey's husband needs to come back home. The McSteamy storyline is hilarous. Those women really have him worried. I love Christina. Is this the last new episode?

Morpheus 01-11-2008 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 27476)
How many times can Meredith and Derek break up??:rolleyes:
Izzie and George don't seem to have what it takes as a couple.:confused:

I think it's because George has a teeney weeney.