Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computers & Internet (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Need to connect 2 monitors to 1 computer. (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1282)

Isabella 04-29-2007 10:57 PM

Need to connect 2 monitors to 1 computer.

Does anyone have any knowledge on how to do this? I need one for a slideshow while the other is for daily use. The slideshow will be on 24/7. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Santabot 04-29-2007 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabella

Does anyone have any knowledge on how to do this? I need one for a slideshow while the other is for daily use. The slideshow will be on 24/7. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

I don't believe that's possible, because if you connect 2 monitors to the same computer, both monitors will display the same thing. You can't split the computer's functionality entirely on 2 different monitors (there are ways, but not like you need it)

You can, however, use 2 computers on one monitor or use 2 computers and 2 monitors on 1 keyboard/mouse set, OR you could connect your computer to a television, but that would only be the same case as 2 monitors on one computer.

Sorry, but I don't think it's possible, you'd need 2 separate computers to display 2 separate things on either 1 or 2 monitors.

I say just get a scrap computer and install it just to play a slideshow, and the other computer can be used for daily use.

AnimeSpirit 04-30-2007 12:41 AM

Actually, Windows XP and up has dual monitor support so long as your video card does too. The instructors' computers at BPCC have them and they're AWESOME! You can stretch your desktop across two or more monitors if you want. It's a real time saver if you're some kind of software or media developer.

You just need a video card that has dual-monitor support too. I've got one myself on my home computer. Dual-monitor cards usually go for $100 or so and come with both a VGA jack and a DVI jack for plugging in 2 monitors. Just get yourself a DVI/VGA adapter and you'll be able to plug one monitor into each jack.

Once you have two monitors plugged in, right click on your desktop, click "Properties," select the "Settings" tab, and you should see a newly activated option that allows you to stretch your desktop across two monitors. Once you activate this, you should be good to go. Your mouse will be able to jump from one screen to the other as if there was nothing between them.

I Googled this up for you, Isabella. Good luck!
http://www.cyberinkdesign.com/dual_monitors.htm

Isabella 04-30-2007 01:04 AM

Thank you so much Anime!

Isabella 04-30-2007 01:32 AM

Anime or anyone else with knowledge, do you think it is possible to have one monitor about 15 ft. to 20 ft. away from the computer and other monitor?

BrainSmashR 04-30-2007 06:04 AM

I have a GeForce 6200 OC with Dual monitor support, current cost, about $60.00 (keep in mind it's only video, not sound and video). I use my TV as the second monitor....great for watching vids or playing games. This particular card allows you to do multiple displays: Clone, which makes monitors 1 and 2 identical. Vertical or horizontal span, which stretches the desktop across two monitors either vertically or horizontally. Dualview, which is essentially two different desktops on one PC. My experience has been that clone is the best option, especially if your monitors are going to be in separate rooms (imagine having to use monitor 2 to change some settings and it's 20' away in another room (Dualview or Monitor1 dies)). If you set Monitor 2 to fullscreen, then you can watch your slide show in a minimized window on monitor 1, allowing you to continue working with the computer, while the slide show would be displayed "fullscreen" on monitor 2, which in my case, is a 27" RCA. My configuration (PC and monitor2 in same room) 2 is set up so that I can use my 5.1 surround sound computer speakers for sound, however I have it hooked up at my Dad's (PC and monitor2 in different rooms)where the sound comes out of his TV so that he can use his remote control to regulate the sound volume. I achieved this simply by buying a line splitter....the sound is coming out of the computer and the TV simultaneously, but the PC is in another room.

The distance your second monitor is from the computer itself is limited only by the length of cable you want stretched out across the floor, and obviously, your ability to multitask while displaying video will be directly dependent on the power of your PC. I have a 2.6ghz with 1gig of RAM.....no problems here, but my Dad has a 2.8 with only 1/2 a gig of RAM......runs kinda sluggishly under the same conditions.

Now did someone say Slideshow?

Shivers Slideshow

Here's an example of something my brother did with some old b&w's from my mother's side of the family. The first pic is my Grandma's high school graduation, the second is my mother's, and around 4 minutes and 17 seconds you can see a pic of my Great, Great, Grandmother :D:D :D

BTW, 99% of these pictures are taken in Natchitoches and most of those at the same house my Grandmother still lives in today.

Santabot 04-30-2007 07:23 AM

Thanks others for posting, I had seen earlier (I think) that isa was using win98? and I assumed there was no way she'd have a video card to support that. But I also thought she wanted to put 2 separate computers on 2 monitors.. but somehow 2 different OS would be displayed from the same computer's action.. How would you be able to split the computer's functionality into 2 entirely separate monitors based on what you want to show up on each one?

Isabella 04-30-2007 08:10 AM

Thanks Brain. The monitors will be in the same room. It will be at my office and the monitor will be in the window. I figure we can get it set up with the monitors together then move the slide show to the window. I hope it will not be too hard. Two of us will be doing it. One young and one old. Can you figure out which one I am? HA HA.

Isaac-Saxxon 04-30-2007 08:15 AM

Quote:

Thanks Brain. The monitors will be in the same room. It will be at my office and the monitor will be in the window. I figure we can get it set up with the monitors together then move the slide show to the window. I hope it will not be too hard. Two of us will be doing it. One young and one old. Can you figure out which one I am? HA HA.

I would say you are the young one :clap:

Isabella 04-30-2007 08:17 AM

Why thank you kind sir. :flirt:

AnimeSpirit 04-30-2007 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
I would say you are the young one :clap:

The shoe-throwing and arrow-shooting smilies are finally adjusting his attitude. :peace:

rhertz 04-30-2007 02:03 PM

I bought a new video card last month with dual monitor support. Now all I need is another monitor! :D

AnimeSpirit 04-30-2007 02:35 PM

Me too! I so wanna try it out. It would blow my mother and sister's minds because they have no idea computers can do that these days.

joepole 04-30-2007 02:45 PM

I would go crazy if I had to go back to a single monitor. How do people get any work done?

Pocahontas 04-30-2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
The shoe-throwing and arrow-shooting smilies are finally adjusting his attitude. :peace:

Yes Anime it appears the attitude adjustments must be working! Isaac is becoming quite a hit with the ladies!!:handkiss:

AnimeSpirit 04-30-2007 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas
Yes Anime it appears the attitude adjustments must be working! Isaac is becoming quite a hit with the ladies!!:handkiss:

What about me? :angel:

Pocahontas 04-30-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

What about me? :angel:

Oh of course YOU too Anime! I thought you already knew that!!!:heart: ;)

AnimeSpirit 04-30-2007 03:27 PM

Maybe, but I don't have enough ego to act that way. ;)

BrainSmashR 05-01-2007 06:54 AM

Quote:

Shouldn't be any problem. Most video cards that have dual monitor support will have a standard monitor output, a digital output, and an S-Video output. Obviously Monitor1 will be in the standard plug in, so you have to make sure Monitor2 has a digital or S-Video input otherwise you'll have to start dealing with all kinds of adapters and such. S-Video input is pretty standard on your better quality TV's if you want a large display however those extra inputs on a regular monitor are going to be more expensive and harder to find.....hence the adapters....and keep in mind this IS only video, not video and sound.

However, your options are basically endless, keep in mind that quality and functionality are directly related to expense in computer world, but if you can dream it, chances are there's already multiple ways to do it.

Isaac-Saxxon 05-01-2007 07:04 AM

Quote:

Maybe, but I don't have enough ego to act that way. ;)

It is real easy Anime :cool: talk to their brain and not to their curves. They would like you to talk to their curves and it is easy to slip off down that trail if you are new to the game. I treat the ladies with respect but at the same time I do not let them use cheap weapons like crying or blinking those eyes to put me on my heals stay on your toes Sir. They are all part of the YA YA Sisterhood. Ya,ya,ya :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

joepole 05-01-2007 09:40 AM

Don't use s-video for anything other than movies, tv, etc. It's 480 lines of resolution (and interlaced on top of that) so you'll go crazy trying to use it as a computer display.

Texasbelle 05-01-2007 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas

I am with Pokie. I think all the attitude adjustments are doing the boy some good! He just got his first kiss.:D

BrainSmashR 05-01-2007 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
Don't use s-video for anything other than movies, tv, etc. It's 480 lines of resolution (and interlaced on top of that) so you'll go crazy trying to use it as a computer display.

Yes this is true to an extent, while the TV is great for videos and gaming, reading normal sized text is virtually impossible. However this is as much a result of a regular TV set not being able to compete with the resolution capabilities of a computer monitor as the method of input....

joepole 05-01-2007 10:22 AM

Right, even if you have a monitor with high enough resolution, s-video will only carry a 480i signal.

Isabella 05-01-2007 06:42 PM

Thanks guys for your input. I really appreciate your help.

MOJO 05-01-2007 07:20 PM

I do this in my classroom

I purchased a VGA splitter from Dell and run PowerPoints on my second monitor while I still have complete control of my normal desktop. Also, to extend the second monitor to the window you will need an additional VGA cable of whatever length you require. That should be the lowest cost/hassle solution.

BrainSmashR 05-01-2007 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOJO
I purchased a VGA splitter from Dell and run PowerPoints on my second monitor while I still have complete control of my normal desktop. Also, to extend the second monitor to the window you will need an additional VGA cable of whatever length you require. That should be the lowest cost/hassle solution.

So you are saying you have dual monitors with their own desktops without a video card designed for dual monitor support?

Please expound if this is the case.....I've never heard of such a thing.

MOJO 05-01-2007 08:55 PM

duh

Windows XP supports multiple monitors and I have a single PC running my pair.

See :eek: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../monitors.mspx

Isabella 05-01-2007 10:42 PM

Thanks again! You all have helped me tremendously! I will start on this next week. Will probably have to come back and ask some more questions, so stay tuned. Brain, you will be able to see the results. Let me know what you think. I am not sure how long it will take to get it all set up. Don't faint, but I am the one who does our website. Excuse me for bragging, I feel we have the best one. I have worked hard to make sure we are on the first page in the top search engines. Yahoo is giving me some problems since all the changes, but that is my next project. Google loves us. I welcome any suggestions.

BrainSmashR 05-02-2007 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOJO
Windows XP supports multiple monitors and I have a single PC running my pair.

See :eek: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../monitors.mspx

Hello, that computer clearly shows a video card with multiple video outputs while it seems you are saying you use ONLY a line splitter to have two separate desktops.

BrainSmashR 05-03-2007 07:27 AM

I went back and looked at those instructions again this morning.

The only other conclusion I can come up with is you are utilizing a laptop with a built in monitor (monitor1) and therefore the ONLY display output plug you have is being used for monitor 2???????????

joepole 05-03-2007 08:35 AM

Many desktop video cards (the one I'm using right now, for instance. It happens to be a Dell, as well) have a single video connector that can be split into two.

BrainSmashR 05-03-2007 08:42 AM

Quote:

Many desktop video cards (the one I'm using right now, for instance. It happens to be a Dell, as well) have a single video connector that can be split into two.

I don't doubt that it's possible, I'm looking for instructions explaining how it's done.

The instructions MoJo linked to show multiple video outputs while you and he have both indicated that's no longer necessary.

joepole 05-03-2007 08:46 AM

A DVI connector can carry both analog and digital signals, the Y-cable simply splits those off into DVI-D via a DVI connector and RGB analog via a 15-pin D-SUB "VGA" connector.

BrainSmashR 05-03-2007 11:40 AM

Quote:

A DVI connector can carry both analog and digital signals, the Y-cable simply splits those off into DVI-D via a DVI connector and RGB analog via a 15-pin D-SUB "VGA" connector.

So your video card only has 1 output and it's a DVI, and this is your Desktop or Tower, NOT a laptop....right?

MOJO 05-03-2007 11:53 AM

single video output

My video card has one DVI output and is split into two VGA outputs thus two monitors. Simple. I looked it up and it is called a "DVI-I to dual VGA" splitter.

Thanks joepole

BrainSmashR 05-03-2007 12:03 PM

Kewl...I read a description of one of the products and it didn't really indicate it was capable of multiple settings.

Is monitor2 cloning monitor1 your only option or do better splitters offer more features such as horizontal or vertical spanning?

joepole 05-03-2007 01:41 PM

They are two completely separate video signals that can be arranged the same as a PC with two video cards or a PC with a video card that had two connectors.

I suppose you could probably clone, though.

BrainSmashR 05-03-2007 03:41 PM

Thanks for the info....

Isabelle, I hope you've been paying attention. Depending on your computer, this may be a cheaper solution than what I have suggested.

Isabella 05-03-2007 10:36 PM

We ordered what we needed today. I will let you know how it works. I was way off on the length of VGA cable we needed, 50 feet.