Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Lettuce Recalled Over E. Coli Fears (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=351)

sbl_admin 10-09-2006 07:51 AM

Lettuce Recalled Over E. Coli Fears

The warning is off for fresh spinach grown in California but now there has been a recall over concerns about E.coli contamination in a popular brand of lettuce.
CNN

Isaac-Saxxon 10-09-2006 08:34 AM

May be time to grow your own garden

We seldom know just where our food is grown or shipped from. Washing our
food and if there is any question cook it. I grow a small garden and find that
my home grown food is best. The news media will find a story if they are
running short on news.

windshop 10-09-2006 03:09 PM

Odd that you should blame the media...

...for bringing a potential epedemic to our attention, I/S. Would you suggest that the media not warn us of potential outbreaks of ecoli until someone is sick or dead? I would rather hear all potential hazards and then make my own decision regarding how to react.

rhertz 10-09-2006 04:39 PM

Funny how they recall spinach and lettuce but not alchohol or tobacco when the latter causes MANY more deaths. :rolleyes:

Rough Rider 10-09-2006 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
Funny how they recall spinach and lettuce but not alchohol or tobacco when the latter causes MANY more deaths. :rolleyes:

almost funny :) I suppose the difference, when we drink alcohol or smoke.. we are warned of the dangers, and I appreciate being able to make those kind of decisions myself.. And if you were going to warn me that eating Lettuce, I take my life into my hands or risk getting real sick.. that would be another thing altogether different.

I do however, get your point :cool:

rhertz 10-09-2006 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rough Rider
almost funny :) I suppose the difference, when we drink alcohol or smoke.. we are warned of the dangers, and I appreciate being able to make those kind of decisions myself.. And if you were going to warn me that eating Lettuce, I take my life into my hands or risk getting real sick.. that would be another thing altogether different.

I do however, get your point :cool:

Very true. I too get your point. :) I guess that behind my post I couldn't help but feel the irony that lettuce and spinach could be more dangerous that tobacco or alchohol. LOL. Even sounds funny. I don't smoke but I do enjoy a good martini, so don't get me wrong. But I do see the irony in being able to buy a gallon of vodka no problem, verses a bag of spinach which is banned.

Rough Rider 10-10-2006 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
Very true. I too get your point. :) I guess that behind my post I couldn't help but feel the irony that lettuce and spinach could be more dangerous that tobacco or alchohol. LOL. Even sounds funny. I don't smoke but I do enjoy a good martini, so don't get me wrong. But I do see the irony in being able to buy a gallon of vodka no problem, verses a bag of spinach which is banned.

Well.. I would say that it's not so much that it was "banned" just a 'recall' right ? Don't eat "this lettuce" because it's @#@#$ up.

However, if you want to talk about why certain recreational drugs, that can also serve a good purpose to those who are sick.. and regardless of that... are BANNED and AGAINST the law.. but alcohol and tobacco ARE allowed.. I agree 100%

LateNight 10-10-2006 09:12 AM

LOL good thread.. apparently you can't eat the Beef either !

Shreveport Times - Lettuce and Beef Added To Recall List

rhertz 10-10-2006 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rough Rider
However, if you want to talk about why certain recreational drugs, that can also serve a good purpose to those who are sick.. and regardless of that... are BANNED and AGAINST the law.. but alcohol and tobacco ARE allowed.. I agree 100%

I with you 100% on that. If the FDA had to approve alcohol today for over the counter sales, I seriously doubt it would win approval. History and specifically predjudice against certain classes of people is the main reason why some substances are legal while others are not. (not medical reasons)

Hattie Thomas 11-30-2006 04:13 PM

I yam what I yam

Somebody get Popeye on the phone!

Isaac-Saxxon 11-30-2006 08:55 PM

Would you suggest that the media not warn us

They warn us about every thing. This deal was just over blown and for all the
folks that worry about that they should just cook there food. You have to wonder how much politics is involved in this. I love Yams !
Isaac

rhertz 11-30-2006 09:10 PM

I loved fresh spinich before the recall. I haven't bought any since. I see it for sale at Krogers. Is it safe now??