Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Talk & Tech (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=188)
-   -   browser hijack (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2872)

Morpheus 10-24-2007 10:12 PM

browser hijack

Does anyone know how to prevent web pages like MSN and comcast from hijacking the cursor? Every time I try to type something in my google toolbar, the cursor ends up in MSN or comcast's search function instead, usually mid search term, so that I get useless results. It drives me nuts! Does anyone else know what I am talking about.

Morpheus 10-30-2007 05:14 PM

no computer geeks here, huh?

rhertz 10-30-2007 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpheus (Post 23770)
no computer geeks here, huh?

yeah there are some computer geeks here, but I've never seen that happen before. I'm not a "toolbar" fan so I don't have a clue. Do you run any anti-virus or anti-spyware, or do you wing it like joepole? :D My son's computer is constantly infected and it does some pretty weird stuff at times and then after after a thorough cleaning, it usually comes back normal (for a while until he downloads more freeware)

Morpheus 10-31-2007 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz (Post 23772)
yeah there are some computer geeks here, but I've never seen that happen before. I'm not a "toolbar" fan so I don't have a clue. Do you run any anti-virus or anti-spyware, or do you wing it like joepole? :D My son's computer is constantly infected and it does some pretty weird stuff at times and then after after a thorough cleaning, it usually comes back normal (for a while until he downloads more freeware)

It's not a hijack in the typical sense. It's a microsoft hijack. Comcast is in it too. I use mozilla with built in google toolbar. I use Grisoft's AVG free for antivirus and adaware for spyware. I run spybot too for its immunize feature, but that proggy has kind of dropped off the radar. I also like ccleaner, and when the situation warrants-hijack this.

joepole 10-31-2007 10:39 AM

You could try using greasemonkey to re-work the javascript and eliminate the part that grabs focus and shifts it to the search window.

rhertz 10-31-2007 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpheus (Post 23823)
and when the situation warrants-hijack this.

If you us Hijack This, then you are a computer geek! :D Most folks don't know what the microsoft "registry" is.. Ignorance is bliss in this case....

Morpheus 10-31-2007 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz (Post 23871)
If you us Hijack This, then you are a computer geek! :D Most folks don't know what the microsoft "registry" is.. Ignorance is bliss in this case....

Actually, I'm more of a wannabe geek.

Morpheus 10-31-2007 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 23826)
You could try using greasemonkey to re-work the javascript and eliminate the part that grabs focus and shifts it to the search window.

I'll look into greasemonkey, but it may be over my head.