Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Collecting (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   What are some of your favorite toys from your childhood? (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2105)

Pocahontas 07-16-2007 11:02 AM

What are some of your favorite toys from your childhood?

Let's name some of our favorite toys from our childhoods. Do any of you collect them or still have some of them around?:cool:

Isaac-Saxxon 07-16-2007 11:13 AM

That would depend on the age as to the toy. Slingshots, BB guns and Hot Wheels for a while then came fishing and after that girls :D after that I can not think of much maybe real guns and hunting.

Pocahontas 07-16-2007 11:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a favorite!Attachment 997 I adored Liddle Kiddles! This is just one of many different ones!!!

piemaker720 07-16-2007 11:16 AM

Mine was a piece of rope and a bag of rice.:)

LSU 07-16-2007 11:31 AM

Well i would say the original nintendo, mainly Mike Tysons Punch Out or Kung Fu(because that was the only games we had. Does a bicycle count:shoethrow: :shoethrow: :question: :question:

Pocahontas 07-16-2007 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemaker720
Mine was a piece of rope and a bag of rice.:)

Guess I'm not very imaginative. What did you do with those?;)

piemaker720 07-16-2007 03:13 PM

Okay Pokie, where I lived as a child we had alot of pidgeons. So I would make me a loop in one end, put it out in the yard and put some rice or bread inside the loop. I would take the other end of the rope and hide inside our shed at the back of the house. When a pidgeon would go in the loop I would jerk it to catch him. The bird would fly and I had the other end of the rope yelling DADDY! He would come out laughing because I would not let that rope go. He would put the pigeon in a bird cage, when I wasn't looking he would let it go and tell it got out, so off I'd go with the rope and the rice again. I would sit out there for hours waiting on a pidgeon. It taught me patience.:laugh:

howela 07-16-2007 04:33 PM

Old toys

Everyone had a "slinky" didn't they? And an "eight ball". And what about those damn paddle and attached ball on a rubber band? I couldn't work that any better than I could the "hula hoop", but I had both at one time or another.

Never played with rope and rice but we did play a game in the woods called "three steps to Germany." The little kids would hide and the big kids would find us and question us.... ( which included some roughing up ) I never understood the game and it went out of style by the time I was old enough to be one of the "Germans".

Pocahontas 07-16-2007 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemaker720
Okay Pokie, where I lived as a child we had alot of pidgeons. So I would make me a loop in one end, put it out in the yard and put some rice or bread inside the loop. I would take the other end of the rope and hide inside our shed at the back of the house. When a pidgeon would go in the loop I would jerk it to catch him. The bird would fly and I had the other end of the rope yelling DADDY! He would come out laughing because I would not let that rope go. He would put the pigeon in a bird cage, when I wasn't looking he would let it go and tell it got out, so off I'd go with the rope and the rice again. I would sit out there for hours waiting on a pidgeon. It taught me patience.:laugh:

Well that is something I've never heard of Pie. I would have been to chicken to try it. I think the scariest thing I ever did was shimmy across a sewage plant pipe to the other side and thank the lord I didn't fall in! I only did this because my big brother did!:yuck:

Pocahontas 07-16-2007 10:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1019

I loved my Chatty Cathy doll! You pulled a string in her back and she could say all kinds of things like...." I love my mommy.":)

Al Swearengen 07-17-2007 01:00 AM

I had this Nerf Tri-Plane, you know, a Fokker (no jokes, please), just like the "Red Baron" flew. I loved the damn thing, but it didnt fly worth a crap. Legos, and modeling clay, had a blast with those. And of course, the toy guns. Had this one toy gun in particular, was clip-fed, and shot these white plastic lozenge- shaped projectiles...been lookin for one of those ever since. Guess they dont make em anymore. Slinkies sucked, you could never get em to go down the stairs by themselves as they were advertised to do, which we all concluded to be bullsh*t. But some of the best stuff was what ya made yourself. If ya had a pocket knife, you'd just hunt around for a block of wood and whittle somethin out of it...sometimes it turned out great, sometimes it didnt, but it was fun gettin there.

Texasbelle 07-17-2007 07:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Barbies!!!! Lots and Lots of Barbies. I am sure JoePole probably played with them too!

Isaac-Saxxon 07-17-2007 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Barbies!!!! Lots and Lots of Barbie's. I am sure JoePole probably played with them too!

So you where a pageant girl from get to go ;) and all this time I thought you played with G.I. Joe. I can see why Joe would play with Barbie :D

Pocahontas 07-17-2007 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1030
When I got a little older I ditched the dolls and began to play with bigger toys! My siblings and I would ride these all over the surrounding neighborhoods and the streets. I'm a small town girl so we just got a warning if we got caught. :D

Leadbelly 07-17-2007 11:06 AM

Johnny Astro!

http://www.johnnyastro.com/Johnny%20Images/box2.jpg

Thats a toy folks!

Isaac-Saxxon 07-17-2007 03:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
rockem-sockem-robots
Attachment 1052

Pocahontas 07-17-2007 04:27 PM

I loved those rock em sock em robots too. It was good having brothers because I got to play with the girl and boy toys!:cool:

Texasbelle 07-17-2007 07:29 PM

Actually, not a pageant girl first. Tomboy first. I believe I was hunting with my Daddy by the time I was four years old. I was my brother's football, yes they practiced football by throwing their infant sister across the room! It was great being the sister of EIGHT brothers! Don't mess with me much more Isaac. They do have my back.

I loved Atari!!! We had a whole lot of fun when that came out.

Isaac-Saxxon 07-17-2007 08:08 PM

Quote:

Actually, not a pageant girl first. Tomboy first. I believe I was hunting with my Daddy by the time I was four years old. I was my brother's football, yes they practiced football by throwing their infant sister across the room! It was great being the sister of EIGHT brothers! Don't mess with me much more Isaac. They do have my back.

You may be cocky but Tomboy not ! You are a powder puff and you know with all your pretty shoes and Parish Hilton dogs :laugh: You may have eight brothers but you a girly girl and ya know it Sista.

piemaker720 07-17-2007 08:41 PM

Quote:

I liked Atari too. My favorite game was Donkey Kong. Loved that game.

Texasbelle 07-17-2007 10:39 PM

Hey little boy when are you going to learn to read?????????? Did I say that I was still a Tom Boy? I think not. I am a girly girl through and through. I love shoes (lots of them), girly clothes, and on and on it goes. Powder puff? NOT. You can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl which translates into "I can't whip your butt anytime, anyplace."

LateNight 07-17-2007 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
rockem-sockem-robots
Attachment 1052

Rockem-sockem-robots were cool.. but it never failed.. you'd always end up with one of those things... where the slightest hit, and BAM.. KNOCK OUT.

:mad:

Pocahontas 07-18-2007 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1090
Here's a fun toy that could occupy me for a long time provided I had many of those round slide photos. They were cool because they were in 3D too.:cool:

rhertz 07-18-2007 08:06 PM

I liked:

Super Ball by Whamo
http://www.octhen.com/uploaded_image...all-753082.jpg

Super Stuff by Whamo (no pic)

Monster Magnet by Whamo
http://wesclark.com/am/monster_magnet.jpg

but the Water Wiggle by Whamo I did not like.
http://www.geocities.com/MusicForNimrods/newwiggle.jpg

enough for Whamo

I liked slot car tracks and Cox airplanes and Revell models. Erector sets, Lego were cool too.

Pocahontas 07-18-2007 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have been wracking my brain to remember what the pink goo was called! Thanks! I found a photo of the packaging. Nowadays this would be the equivalent to that green slime. I just remember when the super stuff got debris in it it would get really funky and nasty!
Attachment 1092

Al Swearengen 07-18-2007 08:35 PM

Rhertz reminded me of the old "Slip-N_Slide" by Whamo that we'd break out every summer. Remember? It was the forty foot long, 3 foot wide strip of yellow vinyl that ya hooked up to your waterhose, then took a runnin dive onto for some bone-jarrin, skin-bruisin fun! And how about those "Jarts" giant lawn darts that ya threw up in the air and ran like hell? Now thats entertainment!

rhertz 07-18-2007 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas
I have been wracking my brain to remember what the pink goo was called! Thanks! I found a photo of the packaging. Nowadays this would be the equivalent to that green slime. I just remember when the super stuff got debris in it it would get really funky and nasty!
Attachment 1092

Yeah slime is green but Super Stuff was red/pink. It came in a plastic bowl with a lid and a bag of powder inside. We would add water, close the lid and shake and put into the refridgerator. Waiting for it to congeal was the hardest part. So another difference is that slime is room temp but I always remember SuperStuff being cold. We would smear it on our face and blow big bubbles. I can still recall the smell although I haven't smelled it in decades.

LateNight 07-18-2007 10:13 PM

Yes I do remember those view-masters. they were pretty cool.. the images looked so sharp in those things.

Who would have known it would lead me into the world of 4-color process work and the scanning of slides in the printing business and a love of photography :)

oh yea, speaking of Lawn Darts.. HOW FREAKIN' CRAZY was that.. I remember being all of 7 years old, me and friends, unsupervised.. "Hey, lets throw lethal lawn darts around the yard!" man was that fun :)

rhertz 07-18-2007 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
Rhertz reminded me of the old "Slip-N_Slide" by Whamo that we'd break out every summer. Remember?

I had a super slide. My dad hated it because it killed the grass underneath!

Pocahontas 07-18-2007 10:46 PM

Yes those slip n slides are just an accident waiting to happen but a fun one at that! My parents hated how it killed the grass too. :laugh:

I remember the super stuff being pink but I had forgotten you have to mix it up an wait and wait for it to gel!

As for the lawn darts I remember my dad and his friends having these big lawn dart tournaments on holidays and thinking that was cool to watch those giant darts go sailing across the sky! We played with them too...it's amazing we are all still here to talk about these so called toys from our past!:)

rhertz 07-18-2007 10:49 PM

Quote:

I remember the super stuff being pink but I had forgotten you have to mix it up an wait and wait for it to gel!

How could you? The wait was agonizing!!

Quote:

it's amazing we are all still here to talk about these so called toys from our past!:)

I got shot by a Daisy BB gun once by my brother! :D

Isaac-Saxxon 07-19-2007 05:29 AM

You two sound like you lived under the same type shell :laugh: Did either of you go to private school :D

Pocahontas 07-19-2007 10:17 AM

Yes I lived in a very nice shell and went to private school! Any problems with that? :rolleyes:

rhertz 07-19-2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

You two sound like you lived under the same type shell :laugh: Did either of you go to private school :D

Yeah me to, but only for a few years until I got kicked out. :p So technically those few years don't count. I am very much a product of the state run Louisiana educational system. LOL, and it shows. I know I shoulda listened to my mama and become a doctor.

Isaac-Saxxon 07-19-2007 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
Yeah me to, but only for a few years until I got kicked out. :p So technically those few years don't count. I am very much a product of the state run Louisiana educational system. LOL, and it shows. I know I shoulda listened to my mama and become a doctor.

Rhertz you are a private school boy and it shows ;) Hide in your shell like Pokie and peak out every now and then to see what is going on in the real world. Did you ever have to fight with the brothers in private school or fear getting ganged up on ? NOT ! It was the age of desegregation and fight or have your butt kicked.

Pocahontas 07-19-2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Rhertz you are a private school boy and it shows ;) Hide in your shell like Pokie and peak out every now and then to see what is going on in the real world. Did you ever have to fight with the brothers in private school or fear getting ganged up on ? NOT ! It was the age of desegregation and fight or have your butt kicked.

I was pulled from my shell at the age of 23 and have made quite a remarkable transition into the real world. :p

Isaac-Saxxon 07-19-2007 01:15 PM

Life is a journey not a destination ;)

guitarman 07-19-2007 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now that sounds like a line from a song I have listen to. My favorite toy would be ......
Attachment 1096
guess which one ? :rolleyes:

rhertz 07-19-2007 01:28 PM

Quote:

Actually I was ganged up on in private school just as much as in public school. The only difference was the skin color of those who were ganging up on me. I never had a problem with those with my own skin color at public school, but in private school, that's all there was, so we turned on each other.

rhertz 07-19-2007 01:29 PM

Quote:

I was pulled from my shell at the age of 23 and have made quite a remarkable transition into the real world. :p

A couple of months on a crab boat pulled me from my shell! ;)