Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Computer Talk & Tech (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=188)
-   -   DVD Shrink Users - Please Help (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570)

ultranet 12-29-2006 03:22 AM

DVD Shrink Users - Please Help

Hello guys

Hey guys I'm new to the DVD burning world. I have an NEC ND-2500A firmware 1.07, and I'm using Taiyo Yuden DVD-R's.

My problem is that after I finish my burn and use Nero DVD speed to check the disk and it comes up with read errors, and the test fails. When I put the disk in my TV top player it goes through all the chapters just fine, but I don't have time to sit down and watch every copy all the way through just to make sure. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm wading through all the tech talk over at cdfreaks.com, and I get the impression that this isn't normal. Instead of being the "nube" on that forum I figured I'd see if anyone over here has some experience with this stuff.

Thanks!

rhertz 12-29-2006 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultranet
Hey guys I'm new to the DVD burning world. I have an NEC ND-2500A firmware 1.07, and I'm using Taiyo Yuden DVD-R's.

My problem is that after I finish my burn and use Nero DVD speed to check the disk and it comes up with read errors, and the test fails. When I put the disk in my TV top player it goes through all the chapters just fine, but I don't have time to sit down and watch every copy all the way through just to make sure. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm wading through all the tech talk over at cdfreaks.com, and I get the impression that this isn't normal. Instead of being the "nube" on that forum I figured I'd see if anyone over here has some experience with this stuff.
Thanks!

Welcome aboard ultranet! I wish I had an exact answer for you, but I too am somewhat of a noob when it comes to burning DVD's. But here are some ideas for what its worth.

First, there are +R and –R disks. You might try a +R disk or a different brand of –R disk just to get a better handle on the scope of this problem. I have never had a problem with Nero before. I do have some questions that might help. You mention making multiple copies. Do any of the copies work? Or are 100% of them bad so far? Have you tried a copy in another TV top player with the same or different results? I often find that by “process of elimination” I can solve my problem or at least gain more clues and information. Good Luck to you and please let us know how it turns out.

Morpheus 10-24-2007 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultranet (Post 2554)
Hello guys

Thanks!

My best guess is that some discs contain "errors" as a means to prevent copying. When copying a disc a lot of the older programs used to stop if they encountered any read errors. This usually happened near the end and thus rendered the disc useful only as a coaster, or frisbee. I have noticed that most software now includes a skip errors function. That way the disc completes burning and you can use it for it's intended purpose. I have noticed error blocks mostly on software I've made backup copies of, but I suppose it could apply to dvds as well. I am not a computer expert, so it's just a hunch. I think copy protection is a lot more sophisticated now.

vixweb 10-24-2007 10:56 PM

Great posts guys! I happen to be a "pro" with dvd shrink and nero:laugh:
First, the dvd-r is not compatable with alot of newer dvd players. I'm not sure why, but I quickly learned the dvd+R is much more reliable.
I use dvd shrink just for getting around the copyright stuff, then I use that as a "master" to make copies with nero. You can also use nero to make copies of the file you made with dvd shrink. Most of the newer , mostly SONY, movies are more difficult to navigate- they manipulate the "structure" of the dvd by arranging the menus,movie, and bonus stuff in a way that "confuses" dvd shrink. There are ways around this, such as other programs like dvd1click(to be used with dvd43),or pulling out just the movie or removing menus, etc. Keep Trying, you'll get the hang of it:peace:

Morpheus 10-25-2007 09:13 PM

Someone who is not morpheus uses DVD decrypter, then shrink to keep the compression playable. Best of all, they're both free.

Morpheus 10-25-2007 09:14 PM

I'm using -Rs on a lite on drive. I haven't had any issues.

vixweb 10-26-2007 07:24 AM

dvd decrypter is a great program!:D

rhertz 10-26-2007 07:16 PM

What is DVD Shrink? Maybe you experts can explain some of this stuff in english for us noobies...

vixweb 10-26-2007 08:23 PM

Dvd shrink is a program that takes a movie on dvd, and compresses it to fit on a blank dvd. Oh, and it will also "go around" the copyright protection in most cases.:D
If you rent or buy a dvd, and would like to copy it, this will do that. Of course, you will need a dvd burner. :peace:

rhertz 10-27-2007 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vixweb (Post 23521)
Dvd shrink is a program that takes a movie on dvd, and compresses it to fit on a blank dvd.

Why wouldn't one DVD fit on another DVD? Also wouldn't compressing it make the picture worse?

Quote:

Oh, and it will also "go around" the copyright protection in most cases.:D If you rent or buy a dvd, and would like to copy it, this will do that. Of course, you will need a dvd burner. :peace:
I thought it took "underground" software to do that. I guess I assumed it was illegal to sell software that would allow copying of a commercial DVD. What is DVD decrypter? Does it take two software packages to pull off that feat? I have nero already but I've only used it for data disks.

My only DVD tip is that there is a store across from Krogers on Youree called "Replay" or something like that. It is a game store and they took a badly scratched DVD of ours and resurfaced it like new for a few bucks. Neat trick. My kids are hard on discs....

vixweb 10-27-2007 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz (Post 23535)
Why wouldn't one DVD fit on another DVD? Also wouldn't compressing it make the picture worse?

Thats a great question! :D The blank dvd s will only fit 4.7 GB,(except for dual-layer dvds) and most movies are larger than that. And your right about the compression affecting the picture, but its really only noticeable if you over compress the file.Ways around "over compression" would be to remove things like menus, bonus stuff, and other languages- Or just use a dual-layer dvd-r because they will fit 9 GBs.

I thought it took "underground" software to do that. I guess I assumed it was illegal to sell software that would allow copying of a commercial DVD. What is DVD decrypter? Does it take two software packages to pull off that feat? I have nero already but I've only used it for data disks.[/quote]

Thats where it gets "tricky":laugh: I'm not sure how they can sell the software, in fact, I've never seen it in a store-just online! DVD Decrypter is just another program like DVD shrink, there are many. Some movies are getting harder to copy, so it may take a combination of programs to achieve the same result, depending on the level of "encryption".

Morpheus 11-01-2007 12:55 PM

joepole 11-01-2007 02:10 PM

>guess I assumed it was illegal to sell software that would allow copying of a commercial DVD

It is in this country. Illegal for you to to use it, too.

Thanks, DMCA, you're an awesome piece of legislation that isn't retarded at all!

Morpheus 11-01-2007 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 23965)
>guess I assumed it was illegal to sell software that would allow copying of a commercial DVD

It is in this country. Illegal for you to to use it, too.

Thanks, DMCA, you're an awesome piece of legislation that isn't retarded at all!

So they did away with the fair use thingy?

Morpheus 11-01-2007 04:41 PM

Looks like they did. :(