Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   ski/snowboard (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3057)

Morpheus 11-15-2007 07:29 PM

ski/snowboard

Who likes to ski/snowboard? I'm a snowboarder myself. I consider myself an intermediate. I've been to Whistler, Keystone, A-Basin, Breckenridge, Santa Fe, Heavenly, and Northstar. This year we are going to Aspen. Where are some of your favorite places and why? I'd like to scout some new places. High on the list are Mammoth, CA and somewhere in Utah.

purpahurl 11-16-2007 08:55 AM

We used to go to Telluride every year, you never had to wait in line and once you got to the top you never had to come down untill after dark. They also put in one of those "super quad" lifts that goes very fast, for maximum skiing time.

I have two small kids and hope to take them in a couple of years.

I LOVE SNOWSKIING.

Isaac-Saxxon 11-16-2007 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpahurl (Post 24706)
We used to go to Telluride every year, you never had to wait in line and once you got to the top you never had to come down untill after dark. They also put in one of those "super quad" lifts that goes very fast, for maximum skiing time.

I LOVE SNOWSKIING.

I would love to see Purpa on a snow board :laugh: center of gravity might have changed :rolleyes:

purpahurl 11-16-2007 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon (Post 24710)
I would love to see Purpa on a snow board :laugh: center of gravity might have changed :rolleyes:

I don't snowboard or wakeboard.

Isaac-Saxxon 11-16-2007 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpahurl (Post 24716)
I don't snowboard or wake board.

I see you are pretty good at riding that tiller :laugh:

Pocahontas 11-16-2007 11:22 AM

Been once and stayed on the ground for the most part landing in the most gosh awful crumpled positions. I can't believe I didn't break any bones. I was 17 at the time and the instructors tried to appease me and say it was due to the icy conditions. Never had a desire to return. That was Steamboat Springs.
I'm not a total clutz though, I'm okay at basketball and tennis!:)

joepole 11-16-2007 12:08 PM

I'm a surprisingly good skier for a fat guy. Last time I went was 2001, though. My eyes are too bad to make it fun. Used to go every year.

purpahurl 11-16-2007 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon (Post 24719)
I see you are pretty good at riding that tiller :laugh:

It can turn into a snowblower if need be.:laugh:

Morpheus 11-16-2007 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 24723)
I'm a surprisingly good skier for a fat guy. Last time I went was 2001, though. My eyes are too bad to make it fun. Used to go every year.

So it's true that if you don't stop, you'll go blind!? Seriously though, don't they make prescription goggles? At 200lbs I'm no featherweight.

Morpheus 11-16-2007 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpahurl (Post 24706)

I LOVE SNOWSKIING.

We're taking morphette this year. They have daycare 9-3. We might try putting her on some skis, but they advised us to wait until she was 4. she's 2 now.

Isaac-Saxxon 11-16-2007 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpheus (Post 24744)
We're taking morphette this year. They have daycare 9-3. We might try putting her on some skis, but they advised us to wait until she was 4. she's 2 now.

Leave her at home with the in-laws the go make a morphette version #2 in the mountains ;)

joepole 11-16-2007 03:56 PM

>Seriously though, don't they make prescription goggles? At 200lbs I'm no featherweight.

My right eye is uncorrectable without another transplant. This makes my depth perception (especially with low-contrast stuff like ski slopes) pretty crappy, meaning I can only see well enough to ski stuff that's not fun to ski.

I'm 5'11" 250.

Morpheus 11-16-2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon (Post 24746)
Leave her at home with the in-laws the go make a morphette version #2 in the mountains ;)

A sound plan, but in the interest of retaining renewable resources, granny has to get a break every now and then. Hopefully, Morphette 2.0 will be in the oven by the time we take the trip. Or perhaps Morph Jr. ;)

Morpheus 11-16-2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 24751)
>Seriously though, don't they make prescription goggles? At 200lbs I'm no featherweight.

My right eye is uncorrectable without another transplant. This makes my depth perception (especially with low-contrast stuff like ski slopes) pretty crappy, meaning I can only see well enough to ski stuff that's not fun to ski.

I'm 5'11" 250.

That sucks Joe. What do you like to do for fun, besides reading statistical journals and squeezin' Al's coronary arteries?

Isaac-Saxxon 11-16-2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpheus (Post 24760)
That sucks Joe. What do you like to do for fun, besides reading statistical journals and squeezin' Al's coronary arteries?

The same thing I do sit behind a desk all day. Now as far as AL goes I leave his coronary arteries alone :D You go Morpheus :laugh: