Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Entertainment (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Real meaning of Christmas hard to find (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3217)

Morpheus 12-09-2007 10:27 PM

Real meaning of Christmas hard to find

I went to Barnes and Noble to get my two year old a book about the real meaning of Christmas. We had a tough time.

If you want a book on Kwanzaa, there's a whole rack. If you want a book on Hanukkah, they've got you covered. If you want a book that mentions Jesus, get ready to dig a little. I finally found two, after my wife had given up.

Pocahontas 12-09-2007 10:49 PM

Crystal Bowman writes some fantastic books geared at preschoolers.
Jesus, Me and the Christmas Tree, A Star for Jesus, J is for Jesus. They are all really sweet stories. They come in the form of board books so they don't tear up easily. She also tells how the traditional tree, the star and the candy cane correlate with the true meaning of Christmas. For instance did you know the candy cane originated from being a replica of a Shepherd's staff? I would think Barnes and Noble would carry them. If not check out that Christian book store in the same shopping center on the opposite end from Target.:)

Morpheus 12-09-2007 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 26305)
Jesus, Me and the Christmas Tree, A Star for Jesus, J is for Jesus. They are all really sweet stories. They come in the form of board books so they don't tear up easily. She also tells how the traditional tree, the star and the candy cane correlate with the true meaning of Christmas. For instance did you know the candy cane originated from being a replica of a Shepherd's staff? I would think Barnes and Noble would carry them. If not check out that Christian book store in the same shopping center on the opposite end from Target.:)

Thanks! I'll be sure to look for those.

Texasbelle 12-10-2007 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 26305)

It's Lifeway Christian Bookstore. The only place we've found anything relating to the real meaning of Christmas.

rhertz 12-10-2007 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle (Post 26331)
It's Lifeway Christian Bookstore. The only place we've found anything relating to the real meaning of Christmas.

That is a really nice store. We went there to get a book on the "birds and bees" for our daughter and the store is well staffed with good service and quite a lot of customers I might add....

Pocahontas 12-10-2007 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle (Post 26331)

Yes, thank you, I had a brain freeze! A very nice store indeed!:)

Princess Leia 12-11-2007 03:16 PM

One of my favorites is Santa and the Christ Child. It is a great book that I like reading to my kids.

joepole 12-11-2007 06:25 PM

Either we went to different B&Ns (I went to Youree) or you missed the ginormous obnoxiously-large Christmas section right by the middle of the store.

rhertz 12-11-2007 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 26429)
ginormous

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/ginormous

Damn you for wasting 30 seconds of my life....make that 60 seconds... You must be related to Bill O'Reilly or something.. :D

Morpheus 12-11-2007 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 26429)
Either we went to different B&Ns (I went to Youree) or you missed the ginormous obnoxiously-large Christmas section right by the middle of the store.

In the kids section? Or were these not children's books? I was at the youree store, but looking for kids books, so I was in that section. I rarely get to visit the other sections since my world revolves around one particularly difficult toddler.

Texasbelle 12-11-2007 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpheus (Post 26441)
In the kids section? Or were these not children's books? I was at the youree store, but looking for kids books, so I was in that section. I rarely get to visit the other sections since my world revolves around one particularly difficult toddler.

Difficult toddler???? Did the apple not fall far from the tree?

Al Swearengen 12-11-2007 08:42 PM

There're definitly degrees, sure...but all toddlers are difficult...that's their job.

rhertz 12-11-2007 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen (Post 26443)
There're definitly degrees, sure...but all toddlers are difficult...that's their job.

LMAO, teens too! I was just telling my wife that! :o

Texasbelle 12-11-2007 08:53 PM

Let me add to the list.....kids in college! I spent all day on the phone dealing with a problem mini Belle is having with LSU Baton Rouge as a result of another student plagarising one of mini Belle's papers!!!

Morpheus 12-11-2007 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle (Post 26442)
Difficult toddler???? Did the apple not fall far from the tree?

It never does.