Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Local News (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Local surgeon arrested in internet sex sting (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810)

sbl_admin 02-22-2007 10:44 AM

Local surgeon arrested in internet sex sting
 
Local surgeon Milton Slocum arrested in internet sex sting

Isaac-Saxxon 02-22-2007 11:01 AM

I hope he has his soap on a rope
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbl_admin
Local surgeon Milton Slocum arrested in internet sex sting

I have seen this Doctor in my place of business :eek: You just never know who is doing what. I am soooooooo glad the police hunt these perverts down and get them off the street. What the heck is going on with his last name ? He may have been doing this crap for years let us hope this will his last time. The sad part is the doctors family will suffer for what he has done and even though he deserves what he gets his wife or kids or parents will still feel the sorrow and pain.
Isaac

Shrevenator 02-22-2007 11:03 AM

Slocum??? Is that really his name or his Internet handle?? LMAO Unbelievable if true.

Bob 02-22-2007 11:19 AM

That name.. HA HA HA HA HA HA .. that's just too darn funny.
The crime is of course a tragedy. But that name. :eek:

kansast 02-22-2007 01:12 PM

This is probably a stupid post... and if the guy got caught, he got caught.
I'm just wondering, as the story says:
Quote:

A Shreveport surgeon has been arrested in an internet sting, accused of trying to solicit who he thought was a 15-year-old girl.
Since who he was "chatting" with and sending pictures back and forth with turns out NOT TO be a 15-year-old girl, but actually a
Quote:

a Caddo sheriff's detective, who was on an internet chat room posing as a teen-age girl
I'll leave that, at that. Not out to make excuses for this guy. Just thought it was worth bringing up. ?

Or even worse, I suppose he could come up with the Pete Townsend defense "I was doing research on child pornography" :eek:

joepole 02-22-2007 01:18 PM

I think stings like this are outrageous and the fact that they result in prosecutions sickens me. The man broke no law. He did nothing with a child, nor did he attempt to. He solicited sex from an adult, that is not against the law.

kansast 02-22-2007 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
I think stings like this are outrageous and the fact that they result in prosecutions sickens me. The man broke no law. He did nothing with a child, nor did he attempt to. He solicited sex from an adult, that is not against the law.

Obviously I see your point, and thus my earlier post.
And although I agree in principal, I'm left asking myself what is the alternative. Do we wait for him to get ahold of some young girl FIRST, THEN arrest him ? Or should he not try to be stopped in some way BEFORE it happens ?

Isaac-Saxxon 02-22-2007 03:09 PM

I have to disagree here
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
I think stings like this are outrageous and the fact that they result in prosecutions sickens me. The man broke no law. He did nothing with a child, nor did he attempt to. He solicited sex from an adult, that is not against the law.

This guy has some major issues sending photos of his man hood to someone he thought to be 15. If he had fifty bucks he could go pick up a ho that is of legal age and consent. I do understand the intent and action are two different things and either one is bad. He did take action by going to meet this girl "cop" at the park. I will say even if he is found not guilty his career is over in this town and maybe forever. Thank the media for that.
Isaac

AnimeSpirit 02-22-2007 03:49 PM

I understand both points in this matter. I'd think it's a matter of what they try to prosecute him with. He didn't actually do anything with a 15-yo nor was he ever actually in contact with one to begin with. However, his intention was suspicious. A public indecency charge might apply, but statutory rape should not as the act never happened. Solicitation to a minor is iffy because, as KT suggested, there was actually no minor involved.

In short, can you prosecute someone for having the intention to commit a crime, but never actually having the opportunity to attempt it? I think this just brings up political correctness again.

joepole 02-22-2007 04:08 PM

>Do we wait for him to get ahold of some young girl FIRST, THEN arrest him ?

Yes, just like with every other crime.

>Or should he not try to be stopped in some way BEFORE it happens ?

Before what happens? Before he has sex with a 15 year old that doesn't exist?

AnimeSpirit 02-22-2007 04:36 PM

I'd like to think that some people still have a conscience that will change their minds when presented with the desire and opportunity to do something wrong. You just have to wait and see if their conscience is stronger than their intention. However, we will never know that if we prosecute before knowing.

kansast 02-22-2007 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
>Do we wait for him to get ahold of some young girl FIRST, THEN arrest him ?

Yes, just like with every other crime.

>Or should he not try to be stopped in some way BEFORE it happens ?

Before what happens? Before he has sex with a 15 year old that doesn't exist?

I'm waiting for some father with a daughter or two to chime in here :)

Can't you get busted for the "intent" to do something ? Or if you solicit someone to a do a murder ?

AnimeSpirit 02-22-2007 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kansast
Can't you get busted for the "intent" to do something ? Or if you solicit someone to a do a murder ?

I don't think you can be busted for intending to commit a crime until you attempt it. As far as soliciting someone to murder, you can't get busted until you and the person have conspired to do so, if I'm not mistaken.

For instance, if someone asked a friend of theirs to kill me, it would not become a conspiracy to do so until they plan how and under what circumstances.

Al Swearengen 02-22-2007 06:28 PM

Well, since he ALMOST went thru with it, they should ALMOST prosecute him for it! I'd think the public humiliation and disgrace would be punishment enough...not to mention the damage to his career and whatever loses he incurs with that.

Isaac-Saxxon 02-22-2007 07:06 PM

Excuse me here on this one ...
 
Would they have to tie a sacrificial lamb to a post and wait till he bites it before they stop his predator like behavior. Please this is not aimed at you guys but having three daughters I feel like this perv should be charged and maybe do some treatment time and have to post his presence in any place he lives. I think the word is pedophile. The courts will have the final say but he is very wrong here ! Very :nono: :nono:
Isaac

joepole 02-22-2007 07:10 PM

>I'm waiting for some father with a daughter or two to chime in here

I have two daughters.

Isaac-Saxxon 02-22-2007 07:41 PM

Joe having daughters does not make me the expert
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
>I'm waiting for some father with a daughter or two to chime in here

I have two daughters.

I agree that the set up part of this by the police is a fine line. The guy out trying to pick up children needs to be dealt with in a way to stop what he is doing. If I found photos on my daughter computer with that 42 year olds pecker on it and I could find him he would have a large problem. Yes I hear you wheels turning if my daughter was a tramp then who is at fault. I say the older cunning man over the 15 year foolish child. I do see both sides of the issue the police do like to make a name for the department some times but I agree with the police on this issue. I respect your view too.
Isaac

rhertz 02-23-2007 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
I respect your view too.

Is it my imagination or has Sir Isaac lightened up a little here recently? :D He had me wondering there for a while. still does sometimes (ducking)

By the way, I have yet to put anyone on this board "on ignore". I thought I was going to for the first time last weekend. But so far, I'm wide open. There really isn't enough traffic on this board to make it a real problem.

Al Swearengen 02-23-2007 01:16 AM

Cases like this where the wrong-doer has so much to lose...surgeons, astronauts, clergymen...people who occupy positions of trust and respect... people who know the meaning of the word "sacrifice". They apply themselves and work so hard to accomplish these lofty goals, then, in a moment of madness they throw it all away. Just flush their lives right down the crapper. Amazing!

Al Swearengen 02-23-2007 01:19 AM

I was gonna make a tasteless comment...but nevermind.

Isaac-Saxxon 02-23-2007 07:24 AM

Everybody has a weak moment
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
Is it my imagination or has Sir Isaac lightened up a little here recently? :D He had me wondering there for a while. still does sometimes (ducking)

By the way, I have yet to put anyone on this board "on ignore". I thought I was going to for the first time last weekend. But so far, I'm wide open. There really isn't enough traffic on this board to make it a real problem.

When times are hard people are good and times are good people are bad. We had a problem and that problem is gone so now everybody that sat on the side line as all this took place is now coming back to the middle and enjoying the post. I treat people good but I will not take a talking to and I do not expect anybody else to either. I keep looking for a red dot by my name :eek:
Isaac

Al you are on the right page on this issue and besides it will be up to the courts anyway.

kansast 02-23-2007 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
>I'm waiting for some father with a daughter or two to chime in here

I have two daughters.

Well I stand corrected. Sorry about that Joe.
I just about have to agree. I was the first to bring up the 'intent' vs. actually committing the crime. It's just when it comes to Pedophiles whether it's intent or not, just bothers me. I'm all for giving someone the benefit of a doubt when ever I hear of cases like this. I can only imagine how many lives have been ruined because of false accusations. This however was not a false accusation, so it'll be interesting to see how any trial goes. It's like those hooker sting operations.. I mean all you have to do is ASK right ? then you get busted ?

BrainSmashR 02-23-2007 09:46 AM

This is entrapment, plain and simple....but I disagree with letting him "slide" too.

A "sexual encounter" date needed to be setup, and if they guy arrived on the scene, THEN arrest/charge him before he commits the crime but after he has shown clear intention of committing a crime.

As it stands, he's done nothing more significant than expose himself as a dirty old man who finds teenage women attractive.....and a lot of us fall into that category.

Brooke Hogan, only 18. I rest my case.

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowln...an_1106_sm.jpg

BrainSmashR 02-23-2007 09:51 AM

Slocum, a general surgeon and vascular surgeon who teaches part-time at the medical school here, was arrested at Columbia Park in Shreveport late Tuesday afternoon. Authorities said he had made arrangements for a meeting there to get the pictures.

D'oh

Guess I should read the story instead of just the comments. Appears he made arrangements to receive child pornography AND arrived on the scene.....clear cut case of intention to commit a crime as far as I'm concerned.

AnimeSpirit 02-23-2007 09:56 AM

Yeah, but she's like a supermodel type. Lechers are to be expected in her case. We're talking about what could have been some 15-year-old girl. If I'm reading the posts right, I think he did go to meet her somewhere and that was where he was busted. I don't know if this meeting was for a sexual plan though.

BrainSmashR 02-23-2007 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
Yeah, but she's like a supermodel type. Lechers are to be expected in her case. We're talking about what could have been some 15-year-old girl. If I'm reading the posts right, I think he did go to meet her somewhere and that was where he was busted. I don't know if this meeting was for a sexual plan though.


The way I understood it is that the purpose of the meeting was to receive pornographic pictures of a 15 year old girl, and he showed up.

Clear cut case of intention to acquire illegal goods as far as I'm concerned....simply put, I can no longer dismiss his actions as simple flirting.

scarlett 02-23-2007 11:19 AM

First I would like to ask Joepole how old are his daughters? Are they toddlers, elementary, middle or high school age?

2nd I have an 18 yr old daughter and some of you know her in RL what she looked like at 15, no she didn't look 15!!!! I kept a lock down on her computer during her early teenage years till she moved out the house due to perverts out there just as this dr. I watch to catch a perdator each week and each time one of those guys walk in the house they deserve the 50k bond that is fixing to be slapped on them.

When will men wake up and realize what a chlid is vs a legal girl? Is youth so tempting that you loose your career and family over? What do men see in these young girls? Yes they are beautiful but remember they are NOT LEGAL! Is it the innocence of the under age girls that is so tempting like they have never had sex before? Don't men realize in todays society more and more girls are having sex at the ages of 12 and up? Is it the sexy clothes these parents are allowing their under age children to wear that tempts men?

If you ask me it's pathetic, sick and immoral but who has high morals these days?

If the intent on the internet is talked about having sex, doing this and doing that and sending nude pictures of themselves to under age girls believe me the intent is to have sex with them.

In texas they don't even have to show up for the meeting all they have to do is have the intent and they get arrested.

I say wake up men and keep your nasty thoughts in your minds and not on the computer because it will cause you more grief in the end if you are caught.

And that's my .03!

joepole 02-23-2007 11:20 AM

>This however was not a false accusation

Sure it was. There no minor involved.

Isaac-Saxxon 02-23-2007 11:51 AM

I do not think the court will see it that way joe
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
>This however was not a false accusation

Sure it was. There no minor involved.

I agree that there was not a minor involved this time because the police took the place of the 15 year old but that does not change the fact that the doctor was on the hunt. I have three daughters and they dress like the older girls and it is hard to stop that I have one still in the nest and she is 15 and
5'10" and very pretty and does not look 15 so I guard her close because I know how naive she really is.
Isaac

kansast 02-23-2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
>This however was not a false accusation

Sure it was. There no minor involved.

Come on Joe, I think you know what I was talking about.
Jane falsely accusing John of Rape != John getting faked out and caught trying to attempt the crime.

One is false accusation and the other is INTENT. Big difference I would think.

AnimeSpirit 02-23-2007 01:37 PM

I agree, hence my statement about why public indecency might apply, but rape would not. Solicitating a minor is highly questionable because it wasn't actually a minor. The intent is compelling, but can he be prosecuted for it alone?

rhertz 02-23-2007 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
>This however was not a false accusation
Sure it was. There no minor involved.

True there is no *real* minor involved just like with a prostitution sting there is no real prostitute involved. I don't know if they are allowed to use real drugs in a drug sting or not. I would suspect so, but but then a drug is an object and not a person which can be harmed or violated.

The whole premise of a "sting" seems to be based on a virtual prostitute or a virtual victim because if they used the "real thing", the law enforcers would be breaking the actual law that they are trying to enforce. So the result would be to accept this "catch 22" and not allow stings, or else create laws that work around this "catch 22" so that law enforcers are allowed to setup sting operations.

sbl_admin 03-04-2007 04:16 PM

Updated News Story
 
A new story has been added to the "Read More" section of this topic, as follows

KTBS -- Mar 4 2007 4:16 PM
Another suspected predator reeled in

scarlett 03-04-2007 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbl_admin
A new story has been added to the "Read More" section of this topic, as follows

KTBS -- Mar 4 2007 4:16 PM
Another suspected predator reeled in

He's being held on a $120,000 bond. They really should just let them rot in jail no bond.

AnimeSpirit 03-04-2007 09:21 PM

You know, I've run a few forums and chat rooms in the past and talking sex in such public places can get you in trouble if you don't know how to communicate such things without sounding like a pervert.

A few years ago, I was running a chat room on AOL. Some 17-yo girl sent me an IM asking a question about her relationship, which was common for the topic of my chat room. She was pregnant with the child of some 19-yo guy she knew. We spoke for a while and started talking about the dangers of unprotected sex and why not every birth control method is 100% effective. The real trick with me though is that in such public environments (where the user might actually be a cop), I do not refer to sex as simply "sex." Instead, I substitute this term with a stiffer and more professional-sounding term such as, "sexual intercourse."

This helps to stress that my reference to the term is not on a personal level and really makes it hard for someone to say you were flirting or soliciting sex. This is a useful thing to remember when talking sex in public or online.

tigress 11-06-2007 08:02 PM

Can anyone tell me....
 
What happened with this... what has become of Slocum???

tigress 11-26-2008 12:16 PM

Question
 
I have looked to see what ever happened in this case. I do not live in Shreveport any longer, does anyone know what happened?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.7.2
Copyright 2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
2008 Shreveport.com