Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Local News (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Local surgeon arrested in internet sex sting (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810)

AnimeSpirit 02-23-2007 01:37 PM

I agree, hence my statement about why public indecency might apply, but rape would not. Solicitating a minor is highly questionable because it wasn't actually a minor. The intent is compelling, but can he be prosecuted for it alone?

rhertz 02-23-2007 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
>This however was not a false accusation
Sure it was. There no minor involved.

True there is no *real* minor involved just like with a prostitution sting there is no real prostitute involved. I don't know if they are allowed to use real drugs in a drug sting or not. I would suspect so, but but then a drug is an object and not a person which can be harmed or violated.

The whole premise of a "sting" seems to be based on a virtual prostitute or a virtual victim because if they used the "real thing", the law enforcers would be breaking the actual law that they are trying to enforce. So the result would be to accept this "catch 22" and not allow stings, or else create laws that work around this "catch 22" so that law enforcers are allowed to setup sting operations.

sbl_admin 03-04-2007 04:16 PM

Updated News Story

A new story has been added to the "Read More" section of this topic, as follows

KTBS -- Mar 4 2007 4:16 PM
Another suspected predator reeled in

scarlett 03-04-2007 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbl_admin
A new story has been added to the "Read More" section of this topic, as follows

KTBS -- Mar 4 2007 4:16 PM
Another suspected predator reeled in

He's being held on a $120,000 bond. They really should just let them rot in jail no bond.

AnimeSpirit 03-04-2007 09:21 PM

You know, I've run a few forums and chat rooms in the past and talking sex in such public places can get you in trouble if you don't know how to communicate such things without sounding like a pervert.

A few years ago, I was running a chat room on AOL. Some 17-yo girl sent me an IM asking a question about her relationship, which was common for the topic of my chat room. She was pregnant with the child of some 19-yo guy she knew. We spoke for a while and started talking about the dangers of unprotected sex and why not every birth control method is 100% effective. The real trick with me though is that in such public environments (where the user might actually be a cop), I do not refer to sex as simply "sex." Instead, I substitute this term with a stiffer and more professional-sounding term such as, "sexual intercourse."

This helps to stress that my reference to the term is not on a personal level and really makes it hard for someone to say you were flirting or soliciting sex. This is a useful thing to remember when talking sex in public or online.

tigress 11-06-2007 08:02 PM

Can anyone tell me....

What happened with this... what has become of Slocum???

tigress 11-26-2008 12:16 PM

Question

I have looked to see what ever happened in this case. I do not live in Shreveport any longer, does anyone know what happened?