Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   World News (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Parents outraged over teachers' prank school shooting (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1452)

piemaker720 05-14-2007 09:46 AM

Parents outraged over teachers' prank school shooting

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...246931705.html

Those poor children scared to death. They probably won't be the same and it wasn't even real.:mad!:

AnimeSpirit 05-14-2007 10:25 AM

Nice effort, but the execution of it has earned that faculty the...

Stupid Meter!!! :D
:stupidmeter:

joepole 05-14-2007 10:29 AM

What a bunch of crybabies.

Poor taste? Probably.

Scary? So what?

Pocahontas 05-14-2007 11:11 AM

Joepole you are forever the "pot stirrer" aren't you? I know good and well if in a few years your beautiful little girl came home and told you of this horrendous event that caused her to cry and fear for her life....you would NOT sit around laughing it off! My husband would blow a gasket if that happened to one of his little or big girls and demand someone be held accountable! I would hope you would as well!

BrainSmashR 05-14-2007 11:31 AM

Once again, I have to agree with the majority and stand in awe at the sheer stupidity and waste of oxygen Joe has revealed himself to be.

While this IS just a simple prank, it not the type of prank that should be played on 12 year old children. You tell them that the boogieman lurks in the forest, or the hookman ghost story, not that they will be murdered if they come out from underneath the table.

Isaac-Saxxon 05-14-2007 11:52 AM

I must agree here with the brain post. In this day and age gun jokes do not fly at all. If you want to joke with the kids then dress up like Slimy Jake ;) I did this one with my kids when they were about 12 years old. I told them Slimy Jake lived in this cow pen over the levee. So I had a friend of mine that owned the land drive about 8 of the girls and his wife over to that spot where I was hiding with a green mask on and a old back coat :laugh: He did not tell his wife or kids and it was at night. Well I freaked the kids out and his wife wet her pants :laugh: I got calls from some of the parents about that one and one of my kids kind of got freaked out too. Had to tell this one is was to funny to pass up. I can say Slimy Jake to this day at my house and get all eyes looking at me with out a smile :mad: Heck I thought it was funny but my friends wife did not at all :rotflol: :rotflol:

joepole 05-14-2007 01:39 PM

We are raising a generation of pansies. Scaring children isn't very harmful, especially twelve year olds.

AnimeSpirit 05-14-2007 02:12 PM

Joe, when you had fire drills in school, did the faculty light the building on fire for realism? They sure didn't when I was in school. They told us that drills were starting because the #1 point of having these drills is to train students not to panic and what to do if the event should occur for real. This particular faculty just made the fear and panic worse and needlessly frightened the students.

It's not that we're raising pansies. We just believe in doing things right.

joepole 05-14-2007 02:18 PM

>This particular faculty just made the fear and panic worse and needlessly frightened the students.

Yes, they did. So what?

AnimeSpirit 05-14-2007 02:22 PM

SO...they deserve whatever consequences they are likely to receive.

joepole 05-14-2007 02:32 PM

>they deserve whatever consequences they are likely to receive

They deserve a reasonable punishment, which is almost none.

See? We're making a nation of litigious nancies:

Student Claims Teacher Forced Her To Watch 'Brokeback'

A 12-year-old girl and her grandparents are suing the Chicago Board of Education, claiming that she was required to watch the R-rated film Brokeback Mountain in class last year. They claim that the film, which depicts the longterm homosexual affair of two cowboys, traumatized her and that she subsequently had to undergo psychological treatment. The girl, Jessica Turner, and her grandparents, Kenneth and LaVerne Richardson, are seeking $500,000 in damages. In an interview with the Associated Press, Kenneth Richardson, Jessica's grandfather and legal guardian, also said that the movie was "against our faith."

AnimeSpirit 05-14-2007 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
They deserve a reasonable punishment, which is almost none.

At least you used the qualifier, "almost." :D That must mean you agree that a punishment of SOME type is in order. What that punishment is, we'll find out soon enough.

joepole 05-14-2007 02:40 PM

I'm thinking something along the lines of public apology and a written reprimand would be appropriate.

AnimeSpirit 05-14-2007 03:06 PM

Quote:

I'm thinking something along the lines of public apology and a written reprimand would be appropriate.

If they discovered who the clunkhead was that made this idiotic call, then yeah, I could agree to that.

piemaker720 05-14-2007 03:08 PM

You say that we are raising a generation of pansies, but I would take a pansy any day over someone that you[a person with no sense]. The ideas you come up with I would not teach my dog. And as fore Brokeback Mountain, that is not a movie to be viewed by children. If you chose to let your child watch it, fine, we'll see her in a gay demonstration oneday. But I for one support the grandparents for griping about it shown in school. That teacher needs to be fired and never work with children again!!!!! If your wife had any sense she'd give you a good thrashing for acting like that.:stupidmeter:

BrainSmashR 05-14-2007 04:00 PM

Quote:

We are raising a generation of pansies. Scaring children isn't very harmful, especially twelve year olds.

No, but mental trauma caused when someone who is supposed to be protecting you brings your 12 year old but into the middle of a firing range IS.

Joe, the only person here who is utterly clueless about how to raise children is YOU, buddy, and in case you haven't noticed, this is an opinion shared unanimously by everyone here with the exception of you.

BrainSmashR 05-14-2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

See? We're making a nation of litigious nancies:
Gee, one has to wonder if you would feel the same way about someone showing a movie to your daughter glorifying statuatory rape or if we can add hypocrite to the list of adjectives used to describe what a piece of **** you are.

rhertz 05-14-2007 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
Once again, I have to agree with the majority and stand in awe at the sheer stupidity and waste of oxygen Joe has revealed himself to be..

Numbers mean nothing. ;) I have to agree with Joe. Heck I can remember three or four times when I thought I was going to die as a child.

1) The first time I had the wind knocked out of me.
2) being at the bottom of a pile of 5 or 6 kids piling on top of each other.
3) I was looking at a snake once and a neighbor threw a stick at me and scared the heck out of me.
4) I fell into a pool before I could swim and it took 30 sec or so for an adult to save me.
5) Couple of bad minibike wipeouts.
6) My first real whippin'...

I'm probably forgetting a few. Life is pretty scary, at least for active boys...

joepole 05-14-2007 06:52 PM

>Gee, one has to wonder if you would feel the same way about someone showing a movie to your daughter glorifying statuatory rape

Do schools not study Romeo and Juliet anymore? Juliet's 13, how old is Paris, 20?

Antigone? That one's got it all: incest, rape, murder, suicide

>or if we can add hypocrite to the list of adjectives used to describe what a piece of **** you are.

You truly have a talent for taking the straw man/false dichotomy to heights previously unheard of my mere mortals.

The truth is I wouldn't consider a teacher showing my 12 year old daughter any mainstream commercial movie to be a serious enough offense to warrant any sort of serious punishment. Can it be inappropriate? Definitely. Was it in this case? Almost certainly. Is it a serious problem that warrants serious consequences for those involved? Of course not. A movie that depicts gay people isn't going to "make your kid gay" any more than reading about Leopold and Loeb is going to make him a serial killer.

rhertz 05-14-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Do schools not study Romeo and Juliet anymore? Juliet's 13, how old is Paris, 20?

Hey I'm no literary giant. But isn't Paris in the Iliad and not Romeo and Juliet? And isn't that spelled Parris? Anyway, please continue the amusing volley of banter. hehehe, yeah I try... :D

Isaac-Saxxon 05-14-2007 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
Hey I'm no literary giant. But isn't Paris in the Iliad and not Romeo and Juliet? And isn't that spelled Parris? Anyway, please continue the amusing volley of banter. hehehe, yeah I try... :D

:banana: :banana: Rhetz is feeling good tonight :clap:

joepole 05-14-2007 08:45 PM

There is a character named "Paris" in both. The Paris in R+J is the prince (or some other royal) that 13-year old Juliet's mom tries to pimp her daughter to.

Sheba 05-15-2007 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
Nice effort, but the execution of it has earned that faculty the...

Stupid Meter!!! :D
:stupidmeter:

Can I say that I am embarrassed to admit I am a teacher on so many occasions these days! What possible purpose could there have been in terrifying students? We teach for positive outcomes. What happened to All I Really Need to know I Learned in Kindergarten?

Share everything.
Play fair.
Don't hit people.
Put things back where you found them.
Clean up your own mess.
Don't take things that aren't yours.
Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
Wash your hands before you eat.
Flush.
Warm cookies and milk are good for you.
Live a balanced life -learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
Take a nap every afternoon.
When you go out into the world, watch our for traffic, hold hands and stick together.
Be aware of wonder.

(Robert Fulghum)

I know it's idealistic, but could they have planned a fieldtrip that included sticking together and being aware of wonder? I cringe at calling these "teachers" peers. :nono: Stupid is the only word that fits.

Isaac-Saxxon 05-15-2007 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheba
Can I say that I am embarrassed to admit I am a teacher on so many occasions these days! What possible purpose could there have been in terrifying students? We teach for positive outcomes. What happened to All I Really Need to know I Learned in Kindergarten?

Share everything.
Play fair.
Don't hit people.
Clean up your own mess.
Flush.
Live a balanced life -l earn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
When you go out into the world, watch our for traffic, hold hands and stick together.
Be aware of wonder.

(Robert Fulghum)

I know it's idealistic, but could they have planned a field trip that included sticking together and being aware of wonder? I cringe at calling these "teachers" peers. :nono: Stupid is the only word that fits.

Oh but there is another word :eek: Foolish :D I would not pull out a toy gun these days you may end up looking like Swiss Cheese :rolleyes: Sheba S Check ;)

BrainSmashR 05-15-2007 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
Numbers mean nothing. ;) I have to agree with Joe. Heck I can remember three or four times when I thought I was going to die as a child.

1) The first time I had the wind knocked out of me.
2) being at the bottom of a pile of 5 or 6 kids piling on top of each other.
3) I was looking at a snake once and a neighbor threw a stick at me and scared the heck out of me.
4) I fell into a pool before I could swim and it took 30 sec or so for an adult to save me.
5) Couple of bad minibike wipeouts.
6) My first real whippin'...

I'm probably forgetting a few. Life is pretty scary, at least for active boys...

There's a BIG difference between you "thinking" you are going to die and an adult in charge of your safety telling you that you are going to die.

Suppose someone you put in charge of maintaining your health, say your Doctor, tells you that YOU are going to die.

Not so funny anymore, huh? In fact, I'd bet you sue his ass off and try to have his medical license revoked....while you are clearly implying the exact same scenario shouldn't affect a CHILD at all.

Pocahontas 05-15-2007 07:39 AM

Quote:

Can I say that I am embarrassed to admit I am a teacher on so many occassions these days! What possible purpose could there have been in terrifying students? We teach for positive outcomes. What happened to All I Really Need to know I Learned in Kindergarten?

Share everything.
Play fair.
Don't hit people.
Clean up your own mess.
Flush.
Live a balanced life -l earn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
Be aware of wonder.

(Robert Fulghum)

I know iit's idealistic, but could they have planned a fieldtrip that included sticking together and being aware of wonder? I cringe at calling these "teachers" peers. :nono: Stupid is the only word that fits.

Here, here Sheba!!! I agree! It is a shame how those innocent little creatures don't get to be that for long. I think so many people including their parents are in a rush to make them grow up! We should all try to sit back and look through the eyes of the little ones...it's fascinating to say the least!:)

Texasbelle 05-15-2007 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas
Here, here Sheba!!! I agree! It is a shame how those innocent little creatures don't get to be that for long. I think so many people including their parents are in a rush to make them grow up! We should all try to sit back and look through the eyes of the little ones...it's fascinating to say the least!:)

Amen Pokie and Sheba! Why do they have to grow up so fast and why are they being terrorized by teachers? As a child, my teachers were among the people I looked up to and trusted the most. These days you have to teach your child to be wary of a teacher. Oh oh oh, that's one of the reasons I homeschool!

Rhertz, I can't beleve you are even trying to defend Joe and his statements. There is nothing even remotely funny about what these teachers did and in now way can you justify it.

Sheba 05-15-2007 10:29 AM

Spelled checked & improved. Thanks , mighty lion!!:peace:

Isaac-Saxxon 05-15-2007 10:52 AM

Quote:

Spelled checked & improved. Thanks , mighty lion!!:peace:

The Lion sleeps tonight :p

joepole 05-15-2007 10:54 AM

>Rhertz, I can't believe you are even trying to defend Joe and his statements.

Yeah, my "this was inappropriate but isn't a big deal and didn't really cause any damage" stance is pretty out there.

rhertz 05-15-2007 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Rhertz, I can't beleve you are even trying to defend Joe and his statements. There is nothing even remotely funny about what these teachers did and in now way can you justify it.

Well that's half of it. I'm also choosing to disagree with Brainsmashr which is the other half. ;) Now please stop making me show my hand all the time. ;) :D ;)

piemaker720 05-15-2007 01:34 PM

I don't think it is just BrainSmasher your trying to disagree with.

rhertz 05-15-2007 01:39 PM

Quote:

There's a BIG difference between you "thinking" you are going to die and an adult in charge of your safety telling you that you are going to die.

Suppose someone you put in charge of maintaining your health, say your Doctor, tells you that YOU are going to die.

Not so funny anymore, huh? In fact, I'd bet you sue his ass off and try to have his medical license revoked....while you are clearly implying the exact same scenario shouldn't affect a CHILD at all.

First off, I never said that I agree with the faculty or their actions in this news story. I do not. I said that I agree with joepole, but I didn't even say what exactly I agree with. Anyway, this statement I was agreeing with:

"We are raising a generation of pansies. Scaring children isn't very harmful, especially twelve year olds."

Again I don't advocate that adults scare the heck out of kids. That is wrong. Although I gotta wonder with some of todays movies. What I'm saying is that kids do get the heck scared out of them anyway. It happens and I cited some personal examples. As for your point or notion of someone telling you that you are going to die makes the "near death experience" somehow different or worse, I disagree. I think that "having the life scared out of me" is the worse feeling on earth regardless of any circumstances....

Using my example, when I was standing on the bottom of the pool looking up, and before that big hand reached down and grabbed me, yes I thought I was going to die. I didn't need anyone to tell me that. Had an adult yelled at me "you are going to die" I couldn't hear it underwater anyway. But yes, when a child (or an adult for that matter) really thinks they are going to die, then they really think that! :D Otherwise, they didn't think they were going to die, did they?

And to reinterate, no I don't think throwing kids into a pool and letting them sink and have the life scared out of them is a good way to teach them how to swim. In my case, I fell in by accident and I was lucky an adult saw it happen. But likewise I don't think we should all raise pansies who are never scared or take reasonable risks either. Life is pretty scary at times and young adults need to learn the skills to cope.....

BrainSmashR 05-15-2007 02:31 PM

Well Rherts, what can I say other than at least one of us is still young enough to remember the difference between a perceived fear and one your parents or guardian tells you IS real.

For instance, I can remember being terrified after watching Jaws for the first time and making my parents let me sleep in the bed with them, but that in no way shape or form meant I thought a giant fish was going to eat me in the middle of Natchitoches.

My irrational fear is no where near in comparison to someone like my father telling me I'll get shot in the head if I stand up.

Sheba 05-16-2007 05:31 AM

Quote:

Well Rherts, what can I say other than at least one of us is still young enough to remember the difference between a perceived fear and one your parents or guardian tells you IS real.

For instance, I can remember being terrified after watching Jaws for the first time and making my parents let me sleep in the bed with them, but that in no way shape or form meant I thought a giant fish was going to eat me in the middle of Natchitoches.

My irrational fear is no where near in comparison to someone like my father telling me I'll get shot in the head if I stand up.

Excellent point, Brain!! :clap: I see teachers as the protectors here, and that system failed miserably. There's something dreadfully wrong when kids don't know who they can trust. It breaks down a belief system - similar to abuse by a family member.

That's very different than a simple prank by their peers. These were teachers and that changes the situation. Still think the word stupid fits, too.