Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Food & Dining (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   What is your favorite way to eat Crawfish ? (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1320)

Isaac-Saxxon 05-02-2007 02:04 PM

What is your favorite way to eat Crawfish ?

Crawfish-Okra Gumbo

Ingredients: ½ cup vegetable oil
2 quarts fresh okra, sliced
1½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon red pepper
¼ cup parsley, chopped
½ cup onion tops, chopped
1 pound crawfish tails, cleaned
1½ quarts water
½ cup roux
2 fresh tomatoes, cut up, or ½ can tomato sauce
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped

Procedure: Use heavy pot; heat oil. Add okra, salt, black and red pepper, garlic and onion to hot oil, and fry down for about 15 minutes on low heat. Stir very often to keep from sticking. Add tomatoes and cook for about 2 minutes. Add roux, onion tops, parsley, crawfish, and water. Let come to a boil and turn on low heat and let simmer for 1/2 hour.
:gobugs:

sassy1 05-02-2007 02:07 PM

sounds yummy...can I get some delivered? :)

AnimeSpirit 05-02-2007 02:07 PM

I really need to learn how to cook because those symbols look like something I'd see in my algebra class. :freaky:

Isaac-Saxxon 05-02-2007 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassy1
sounds yummy...can I get some delivered? :)

Oh yea if you will put that gun down ;) So what is your favorite way to have them bugs cooked ?

rhertz 05-02-2007 02:26 PM

LIVE BOILED!! With beer! I'm particular about my crawfish. I purge them twice and I still won't suck the heads.

sassy1 05-02-2007 03:06 PM

Definitely boiled and with a Miller Lite. I'm with rhertz about the no suck rule. I get tired of peeling though. Crawfish bisque is pretty good if you're not watching your cholesterol! Great, now I'm hungry. :) btw Isaac...I'm not dangerous unless properly provoked...then watch out! ;)

LateNight 05-02-2007 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Definitely boiled. with some home brewed Ale beer... the only way to go.

sassy1 05-02-2007 06:19 PM

Looks great!

Macaca 05-02-2007 06:23 PM

Just boiled, nothing special

Al Swearengen 05-02-2007 06:28 PM

Lord have mercy! Some hot, spicy bugs, tators, corn and sausage, washed down with some cold pale ale....sounds like the makins of a good time!

piemaker720 05-02-2007 08:20 PM

Hey I like them any way I can get them. Boiled with potatoes and corn on the cob or pull the tails off and fry them. I love catching them almost as much. During high water I'll go down on the creek bank with nets, I'll start a fire in a container put a boiler of water on to boil. As I catch them they go into a bucket to purge and into the cooker. I will stay all night catching and eating. Don't get no better than that. Drinks iced down. Man

purpahurl 05-02-2007 08:52 PM

The best way

If you cook them yourself, you need to fill your pot 1/3 full. This is key. Put 1 stick of butter per 30 lbs. Bring to boil (steam from under the lid) add crawfish, onions, lemons, MUSHROOMS,. Wait till steam comes out, cut off fire. Drink beer or wine, etc., dump in ice chest, season heavily, shake, leave to cool. EAT EAT EAT. The butter makes the meat shoot out of the shell.

piemaker720 05-02-2007 09:27 PM

Let's put a kick to it. Water, salt, lemons, creole seasonings. When you throw in the corn and potatoes it really puts the seasoning on. The spicest the better. Makes you drink more too. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

LateNight 05-02-2007 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by piemaker720
Let's put a kick to it. Water, salt, lemons, creole seasonings. When you throw in the corn and potatoes it really puts the seasoning on. The spicest the better. Makes you drink more too. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Yes, I do like the spicey corn and potatoes.. but you should cook those AFTER the bugs.. for the corn and potatoes can soak up too much of your spices.. not leaving enough for your crawfish :)

unfortunately, the bugs caught out here at the LateNight Bar & Grill aren't big enough for eating :)

rhertz 05-02-2007 09:44 PM

One trick I do is to take a pair of old panty hose, cut off the legs, and stuff them with potatoes, corn, onion, etc. This way it is easy to pull out the veggies so I don't have to go fishing for them. I dunno why but some folks question this practice. :D