Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   World News (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Woman With No Arms Sues McDonald's For No Service (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2014)

piemaker720 07-06-2007 04:23 PM

Woman With No Arms Sues McDonald's For No Service

http://www.wtkr.com/Global/story.asp?S=6744908

Quote:

A genetic syndrome has left Illinois resident Dawn Larson without hands or fully developed arms. Larson has learned to lead a full life by using her feet. She's even able to drive. But at McDonald's she said they took her money at one window but wouldn't give her the food at the next window. Larson says she felt degraded
Now McDonald's should know even disabled people have to eat. Shame on them.

rhertz 07-07-2007 02:38 PM

I have no sympathy for anyone suiting McDonalds anymore, even if they have no arms or legs. That's not Ronald's fault. Coffee is hot. So are french fries. And passing food to someone's foot is uncommon and unexpected.

Let me guess, she wants millions of $$ in damages for scaring her for life. Ridiculous...

Pocahontas 07-07-2007 02:45 PM

I'm sorry but I too found that to be a bit gross! The lady (by no fault of her own) has to eat with the very same appendages that she walks all over the nasty ground with. I too think that this birth defect itself has scarred the woman for life, not McDonalds.:(

piemaker720 07-07-2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
I have no sympathy for anyone suiting McDonalds anymore, even if they have no arms or legs. That's not Ronald's fault. Coffee is hot. So are french fries. And passing food to someone's foot is uncommon and unexpected.

Let me guess, she wants millions of $$ in damages for scaring her for life. Ridiculous...

Are you saying a person that has no arms or legs should not eat? And passing food to someone's foot may be uncommon and unexpected but they still have the right to eat in public places. If it had been me at the drive through I would have given her food to her. She can't help she was born with no arms. The the reason she is sueing is it has happened at more than one McDonald's. I was under the impession you over look people's deformatives and not make them feel self conscious about it. I think this is another ducking moment for you. :piethrow:

piemaker720 07-07-2007 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas
I'm sorry but I too found that to be a bit gross! The lady (by no fault of her own) has to eat with the very same appendages that she walks all over the nasty ground with. I too think that this birth defect itself has scarred the woman for life, not McDonalds.:(

It is true this is not her fault but I bet her feet stay clean. The woman never said that McDonald's scarred her for life, she knows full well she is scarred. But she should have the right to pull through a drive through and get her food to take home. She had her children in the car with her and what is that teaching them. Maybe not compassion.

Pocahontas 07-07-2007 03:01 PM

I guess they should've just passed her the food since they did take her money, but I don't feel that she should sue. People probably are caught off guard when a foot comes through the window instead of a hand! I know I would be a bit startled to say the least.:eek:

piemaker720 07-07-2007 03:09 PM

Quote:

I guess they should've just passed her the food since they did take her money, but I don't feel that she should sue. People probably are caught off guard when a foot comes through the window instead of a hand! I know I would be a bit startled to say the least.:eek:

I would be startled to but I would at least try and hide it so as not to hurt her feelings over something she has no control over. It told the first time this happened the McDonald's offered her a $10 gift certificate. What is 10 bucks when they still refuse her service.

Texasbelle 07-07-2007 06:44 PM

I don't really get why we have an issue here. If the woman could pay for her food and her feet did not have to touch the counter, then let her have it. It's really quite simple. I think that sometimes we just forget all about compassion and love thy neighbor. The employees could have walked it out to her car and placed it inside for her or were they too lazy for that?

piemaker720 07-07-2007 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle
I don't really get why we have an issue here. If the woman could pay for her food and her feet did not have to touch the counter, then let her have it. It's really quite simple. I think that sometimes we just forget all about compassion and love thy neighbor. The employees could have walked it out to her car and placed it inside for her or were they too lazy for that?

Thank You Belle that is the point I was trying to make. Compassion and helping someone with a disability.

rhertz 07-07-2007 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piemaker720
Are you saying a person that has no arms or legs should not eat? And passing food to someone's foot may be uncommon and unexpected but they still have the right to eat in public places. If it had been me at the drive through I would have given her food to her. She can't help she was born with no arms. The the reason she is sueing is it has happened at more than one McDonald's. I was under the impession you over look people's deformatives and not make them feel self conscious about it. I think this is another ducking moment for you. :piethrow:

I understand your point. But is the problem only at McDonalds? And zero other restaurants? Do othe restaurants welcome her with open arms? (Or I mean open feet?) I find it difficult to believe she gets treated differently at McDonald's then say at Burger King or Wendy's. Again McDonalds is a target like WalMart who had to say "enough is enough" and now they take all cases to court out of necessity. No out-of-court settlements because the frivilous lawsuits ruined it for legitimate cases....

Texasbelle 07-07-2007 06:55 PM

Quote:

Thank You Belle that is the point I was trying to make. Compassion and helping someone with a disability.

Piemaker, I have decided over the last couple of years that most people in this world lack compassion. So many seem not to care much for their fellow man. It is so sad. In our profession in this home, daily we see it and it seems that unless there is something in it ($$$$) for a person, then they lose their lack of caring and compassion.

piemaker720 07-07-2007 07:03 PM

Quote:

Piemaker, I have decided over the last couple of years that most people in this world lack compassion. So many seem not to care much for their fellow man. It is so sad. In our profession in this home, daily we see it and it seems that unless there is something in it ($$$$) for a person, then they lose their lack of caring and compassion.

I know what you mean Belle. I worked in a nursing home for several years and believe me that takes alot of compassion and patience which not any person can do.

piemaker720 07-07-2007 07:09 PM

Quote:

I understand your point. But is the problem only at McDonalds? And zero other restaurants? Do othe restaurants welcome her with open arms? (Or I mean open feet?) I find it difficult to believe she gets treated differently at McDonald's then say at Burger King or Wendy's. Again McDonalds is a target like WalMart who had to say "enough is enough" and now they take all cases to court out of necessity. No out-of-court settlements because the frivilous lawsuits ruined it for legitimate cases....

She told in an interview that at other restaurants she eats inside at a table with her family. Then point is some thinks it is disgusting using her feet which I agree is, but what do you think she should do, hire someone to go with her and feed her. Wouldn't that be just as degrading to be feed like an infant. And she said it happened at more than one McDonalds.

rhertz 07-07-2007 07:21 PM

Quote:

I consider myself a generous and compassionate person. Where I draw the line is for someone suing McDonalds over a hot cup of coffee or grabbing a bag with your feet. How about $100 tops?? That's good pay for one single bad drive thru experience, don't you think?

piemaker720 07-07-2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

I consider myself a generous and compassionate person. Where I draw the line is for someone suing McDonalds over a hot cup of coffee or grabbing a bag with your feet. How about $100 tops?? That's good pay for one single bad drive thru experience, don't you think?

Do you not understand that it was more than one single drive through experience? And why keep bring up the hot coffee, I figure the hot coffee person was trying to scam McDonald's. But you are taking a disability and making it sound like a scam. You say you consider yourself a compassionate person, but to me unless you can put yourself in that woman's place and see how you would feel if someone treated you that way or discriminated against you for a disability, then I beg to differ. Even people like that woman has feelings.

compassion--a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering.
mercy, tenderness, heart,
Deep awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it
the humane quality of understanding the suffering of others and wanting to do something about it
the humane quality of understanding the suffering of others

Texasbelle 07-07-2007 08:39 PM

Rhertz, I understand your point over petty lawsuits with no merit. My husband is being sued now by our daughter's ex roommate who moved out of the lease six months early. She could have signed a six month lease but talked our daughter into a one year lease because the rent would be $30 cheaper a month. She informed our daughter that she would help find the room mate to take her place. Of course she never did this and just moved out. Her daddy, a local Shreveport attorney, had to pay the rent she did not pay and now feels the need to sue us. The daughter informed her daddy that my husband, who only met her once and never had conversation with her, said he would pay ALL the rent. Now her daddy either is stupid, plain gullible, or a money grubber. I think it's all three. We've been involved in this lawsuit for two years now. They know they will never win, but continue to try to get us to write them a check. This dad even at the start of all this threatened to sublease his daughter's room and move in (and this is a direct quote), "A black criminal man and we'll see if her daddy wants to pay this". We will never give a cent to a man who would make such threats. P.S. He is a former city official

I tell you that story because we truly understand a petty, frivolous lawsuit with no merit. It can cost the innocent party much. However, this woman was wronged more than once by the same company. I do believe there was a simpler way to handle this. She had choices. McDonald's by Federal Law is required to accommodate people with disabilities. Why didn't they at least try? Probably because they mostly have minimum wage workers with little education and no compassion. After the first time it happened, she didn't have to back to McDonald's. I sure wouldn't or I would find a way to resolve the matter if I did. The woman could have worked with the proper people in her state to turn them over for a Federal violation. Also, the media is a great outlet to get change. I would have given my story to a local reporter. They'd have loved it, and McDonald's would have been shamed into changing.

I do believe that there are two many lawsuits. Far too many and there are much better ways to resolve issues than this. I would love to see a law passed that if you sue someone over such matters as these and lose, you have to pay the legal expenses for the other party. I think a lot of people would not be so sue happy.

Isaac-Saxxon 07-08-2007 10:12 AM

Quote:

Rhertz, I understand your point over petty lawsuits with no merit. My husband is being sued now by our daughter's ex roommate who moved out of the lease six months early. She could have signed a six month lease but talked our daughter into a one year lease because the rent would be $30 cheaper a month. She informed our daughter that she would help find the room mate to take her place. Of course she never did this and just moved out. Her daddy, a local Shreveport attorney, had to pay the rent she did not pay and now feels the need to sue us. The daughter informed her daddy that my husband, who only met her once and never had conversation with her, said he would pay ALL the rent. Now her daddy either is stupid, plain gullible, or a money grubber. I think it's all three. We've been involved in this lawsuit for two years now. They know they will never win, but continue to try to get us to write them a check. This dad even at the start of all this threatened to sublease his daughter's room and move in (and this is a direct quote), "A black criminal man and we'll see if her daddy wants to pay this". We will never give a cent to a man who would make such threats. P.S. He is a former city official

I tell you that story because we truly understand a petty, frivolous lawsuit with no merit. It can cost the innocent party much. However, this woman was wronged more than once by the same company. I do believe there was a simpler way to handle this. She had choices. McDonald's by Federal Law is required to accommodate people with disabilities. Why didn't they at least try? Probably because they mostly have minimum wage workers with little education and no compassion. After the first time it happened, she didn't have to back to McDonald's. I sure wouldn't or I would find a way to resolve the matter if I did. The woman could have worked with the proper people in her state to turn them over for a Federal violation. Also, the media is a great outlet to get change. I would have given my story to a local reporter. They'd have loved it, and McDonald's would have been shamed into changing.

I do believe that there are two many lawsuits. Far too many and there are much better ways to resolve issues than this. I would love to see a law passed that if you sue someone over such matters as these and lose, you have to pay the legal expenses for the other party. I think a lot of people would not be so sue happy.

Do girls talk more than guys ?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

piemaker720 07-08-2007 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Do girls talk more than guys ?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HaHaHa! You stinker.:laugh: :laugh: :clap: :clap:

Texasbelle 07-08-2007 01:26 PM

You need to check your IQ. We don't talk more...we do TYPE more though. Learn the difference.

Isaac-Saxxon 07-08-2007 01:43 PM

Quote:

You need to check your IQ. We don't talk more...we do TYPE more though. Learn the difference.

Just who is it you think your kidding Tbelle besides yourself :rolleyes: Look out for that sword :p

rhertz 07-08-2007 09:53 PM

Quote:

As a businessman, I cannot accomodate 100% of the public. If I make 95% happy, I think that is a success. I have hired both blind and quadraplegic staff before so I think I do my part on the hiring end, but I'm sure that there is some affliction out there that I or my staff cannot deal with. The thought that I could be sued for being less than perfect is pretty scary.....

AnimeSpirit 07-08-2007 11:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Stick Burger! :peace:
Attachment 893

Click to watch this cartoon. :p

Pocahontas 07-09-2007 09:15 AM

Oh no Piemaker has lost it for sure!! :laugh: :laugh:

piemaker720 07-09-2007 08:45 PM

Quote:

Oh no Piemaker has lost it for sure!! :laugh: :laugh:

Hey Pokie, what did I lose. I think I missed something while I was gone.:confused:

Pocahontas 07-09-2007 09:39 PM

I just meant you were so upset with them getting your order wrong that you just lost your mental faculties and murdered someone over it!! Just kiddin' of course!:D

AnimeSpirit 07-10-2007 08:20 AM

Nah, all she did was mess up a table. The cartoon I posted was made by Rob Lewis of Stickdeath. Now that guy is kinda psychotic too. Even though his cartoons are only of stick figures, I still wouldn't recommend kids going to that site.

piemaker720 07-10-2007 08:57 AM

Quote:

I just meant you were so upset with them getting your order wrong that you just lost your mental faculties and murdered someone over it!! Just kiddin' of course!:D

That's okay Pokie, I get it now. I did lose it. I murdered that table with mustard in the dinning room HaHa![Clue game]. I just wasn't thinking, I had just got back from the hosiptal and was very tired.

rhertz 07-10-2007 05:12 PM

What if she had no arms and no legs? Then how would she grab her lunch bag? ;)

I mean were do you start and where do you end when trying to accomodate the general public. Surely there are people out there who have learned to grab things with their butt cheeks.

piemaker720 07-10-2007 06:32 PM

Quote:

What if she had no arms and no legs? Then how would she grab her lunch bag? ;)

I mean were do you start and where do you end when trying to accomodate the general public. Surely there are people out there who have learned to grab things with their butt cheeks.

If that was you how would you like to be accomodated? When you learn how to grab something with your butt cheeks let me know. I personally would preferr to give someone something with their feet rather than their butt cheeks there is something called a FART I'd rather not deal with. You may not think feet are clean but a butt grabber with diarrhea is revoking. :jawdrop: :piethrow: :arrow: :poke: :shoethrow:

Isaac-Saxxon 07-10-2007 06:54 PM

Quote:

If that was you how would you like to be accomodated? When you learn how to grab something with your butt cheeks let me know. I personally would preferr to give someone something with their feet rather than their butt cheeks there is something called a FART I'd rather not deal with. You may not think feet are clean but a butt grabber with diarrhea is revoking. :jawdrop: :piethrow: :arrow: :poke: :shoethrow:

Oh there has to be a fast food place for people with no arms or legs. He joe have you seen her in any good movies as of late. :laugh:

piemaker720 07-10-2007 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Oh there has to be a fast food place for people with no arms or legs. He joe have you seen her in any good movies as of late. :laugh:

What about butt grabbers. :laugh: :laugh: