Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Hurricane predictions way off (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475)

Isaac-Saxxon 11-27-2006 03:15 PM

Hurricane predictions way off

This was going to be the year of the "Hurricane" at least that is what the folks from the global warming group said at the end of last year ?? Where is Al Gore when you need him ? Man trying to predict what this planet is going to do next seems to have a long way to go. If we could predict the weather how boring life would be. What would we talk about then ? Check out this column on hurricanes.

http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBHKNBE0VE.html

Isaac

rhertz 11-27-2006 09:57 PM

Didn't Al Gore invent Jacob's Stone or something? :D

Isaac-Saxxon 11-28-2006 04:17 AM

Al Gore invented the net

That Stone of Destiney will crush Al Gore and all his far left tripe. The tree hugging folks seem to run to the hot buttons and the weather is not the hot button of this year they will come back to it as needed.
Isaac

rhertz 11-28-2006 07:03 PM

Gore

Well Sir-Isaac-of-the-stone, I bet Gore calls for a recount of the number of hurricanes this season. There really were a lot of hurricanes this season, really! :D But we just don't know about them! The Republicans kept them all secret to help in the elections. Its a conspiracy and next year will be even higher. It has to be.

Isaac-Saxxon 11-28-2006 07:49 PM

Its a conspiracy and next year will be even higher

Could this be a statement of some kind ? A major season and then a season with none ? We need Carl Sagen he could have told us. I like your thoughts though !
Isaac

rhertz 11-28-2006 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Could this be a statement of some kind ?

Yes a political point, with a twist of humor, for added effect. :D

Bob 11-28-2006 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Could this be a statement of some kind ? A major season and then a season with none ? We need Carl Sagen he could have told us. I like your thoughts though !
Isaac

Billions and Billions of stars .. (in my best Carl Sagen impersonation.) Caught a video of him on the Science channel. That guy could make Protons and Nuetrons sound exciting. :)

Isaac-Saxxon 11-29-2006 04:51 PM

That guy could make Protons and Nuetrons sound exciting

I think it was his fine collection of tutle necks that made him so cool. Good old Carl was trying his best though.
Isaac

LateNight 08-09-2007 09:54 AM

oops, wait, nevermind.

Forecasters: Fewer hurricanes for '07

Quote:

MIAMI, Florida (AP) -- Government forecasters minimally reduced their prediction for the Atlantic hurricane season Thursday, saying up to nine hurricanes and up to 16 tropical storms are expected to form.

This season has been tame, but August typically marks the start of the most frenetic months of Atlantic weather.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration maintained its estimate that three to five of the hurricanes would be strong. The original report forecast up to 17 tropical storms, with up to 10 becoming hurricanes.

Federal forecasters' move Thursday follows that of Colorado State University hurricane researcher William Gray, who slightly lowered his forecast last week.

Gray's initial projection called for 17 named storms and nine hurricanes, five of them intense. He revised it to 15 named storms and eight hurricanes, four of them intense.

After the battering by storms Katrina and Rita in 2005 there were widespread fears last summer of another powerful storm striking, but the unexpected development of El Nino -- the periodic warming of Pacific Ocean waters that affects wind patters and tends to result in fewer Atlantic storms -- helped dampen conditions.

Pocahontas 08-09-2007 10:28 AM

There's only one Being that can accurately predict the weather and He likes to keep us guessing!:):pray:

joepole 08-09-2007 10:40 AM

If that's true then He is kind of a jerk.

Pocahontas 08-09-2007 10:54 AM

I'd be sure and take cover if I were you during the next lightning storm!:p

Isaac-Saxxon 08-09-2007 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
If that's true then He is kind of a jerk.

joepole some times your a smart ass then there are times you bring some good ideas to the board this time you show just what a fool you can really be.
Yes it is your right and your choice :rolleyes:

joepole 08-09-2007 12:00 PM

I'm a fool for thinking an entity that can do good but chooses not to is a jerk?

I actually had a different word than "jerk" but the forum edited it out.

Isaac-Saxxon 08-09-2007 01:00 PM

Quote:

I'm a fool for thinking an entity that can do good but chooses not to is a jerk?

I actually had a different word than "jerk" but the forum edited it out.

You have the "Choice" to do good or bad. This life is a test you make of it what you will. joepole you can do good and you can do bad do you think of yourself as a jerk ?

Pocahontas 08-09-2007 02:25 PM

He knows he is IS and thrives on it.;) He just enjoys "trying" to use the shock factor. :rolleyes:

Texasbelle 08-09-2007 03:35 PM

He just can't help but show his true colors every now and then.

joepole 08-09-2007 03:46 PM

>you can do good and you can do bad do you think of yourself as a jerk

If I do bad? Of course I would. You wouldn't?

Isaac-Saxxon 08-09-2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

>you can do good and you can do bad do you think of yourself as a jerk

If I do bad? Of course I would. You wouldn't?

It comes down to what you think is bad joepole. We all have different standards and yours is quite different. So don't be the first to point the finger at your creator you might have a face with him one day. I think they call that a come to Jesus meeting. Asbestos britches would come in handy ;)

joepole 08-09-2007 04:57 PM

Anybody who would create me just to tempt me and test my loyalty is a serious azzhole. If I treated my kids like that I'd expect them to hate me.

Pocahontas 08-09-2007 05:09 PM

Do you believe in any type of higher being??

joepole 08-09-2007 05:27 PM

"Higher being" is a subjective, and therefore meaningless for discussion between different people, term.

Do I believe in a sapient entity that created/controls the universe? No, why would I? The evidence supporting that idea is pretty weak.

Isaac-Saxxon 08-09-2007 06:35 PM

Quote:

"Higher being" is a subjective, and therefore meaningless for discussion between different people, term.

Do I believe in a sapient entity that created/controls the universe? No, why would I? The evidence supporting that idea is pretty weak.

It is not meant for all to see Pokie it is written that many would have blindfolds on. Ignorance is bliss in this case. There is a thousand year period that will offer hope for those that choose to be blind now. joepole is much better off to believe in nothing than the wrong thing. You are going a step further and sticking your finger out hope it does not bite you in the ass one day joepole :rolleyes:

joepole 08-09-2007 07:41 PM

Heh, ignorance.

I can even accept that some people can just believe that there is a sapient creator, that they just "know" it to be true, but to believe a specific, man-made story like any of the major religions is ridiculous for an adult.

"I believe that a God sent his son to earth in the form of a human so that we could kill him to save ourselves from the wrath of our omnipotent creator that, for some reason, granted us free will and then punished us for exercising it in a way he didn't like."

"why do you believe that?"

"Because of...ummm....all the...uhh...evidence that says it's true. There's a book and everything! Mine is the right one, though, all the other religions with books and even longer histories are false. I also believe this book to be literally true to the letter, even though it has been re-translated hundreds of times and changed to suit the whims of Kings and clergy."

vixweb 08-09-2007 08:20 PM

Wow....So many fools- except for joepole, of course, who laughs at all us poor "believers". tsk-tsk-tsk
If only we could understand what HE's figured out.....:rolleyes:

Isaac-Saxxon 08-09-2007 08:27 PM

Quote:

Heh, ignorance.

I can even accept that some people can just believe that there is a sapient creator, that they just "know" it to be true, but to believe a specific, man-made story like any of the major religions is ridiculous for an adult.

"I believe that a God sent his son to earth in the form of a human so that we could kill him to save ourselves from the wrath of our omnipotent creator that, for some reason, granted us free will and then punished us for exercising it in a way he didn't like."

"why do you believe that?"

"Because of...ummm....all the...uhh...evidence that says it's true. There's a book and everything! Mine is the right one, though, all the other religions with books and even longer histories are false. I also believe this book to be literally true to the letter, even though it has been re-translated hundreds of times and changed to suit the whims of Kings and clergy."

Well wise pole. You have done no studies in the ancient manuscripts and use the tools to see for yourself how it was translated and how it should be translated. You base your statement on a dimension of physical rules and you do not seem to have a clue about the spiritual dimension. You will joe in time have that chance and if you have never know the truth about the Bible then you are not responsible for your ignorance. Yes there is hope for you joe but I myself will pass on the millennium long school of learning and get my crown the first go around.

LateNight 08-09-2007 09:12 PM

did I miss something ? is BrainSmashR back ? LOL I do so miss these debates. :eek:

peace out. :peace: :cool:

Texasbelle 08-09-2007 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNight
did I miss something ? is BrainSmashR back ? LOL I do so miss these debates. :eek:

peace out. :peace: :cool:

I don't think he's back but would seem that Joe drank from the same cup of Kool Aid.

I will not bury my head in the sand. I will not.

joepole 08-09-2007 10:31 PM

Hahaha, I'm the ignorant one that thinks for himself.

Seriously, though, nothing other than ad hominem arguments?

rhertz 08-09-2007 11:03 PM

Quote:

Hahaha, I'm the ignorant one that thinks for himself.

Seriously, though, nothing other than ad hominem arguments?

Although the others may shift from the point to talking about your pole-ness, I will attempt to stick to some basic facts. Here are reasons why the evidence supporting a supreme being is not weak. Maybe it is not proof-perfect, but it is certainly not weak.

1) The Majority of people on earth believe in the God of Abraham in the old testiment. 3 major religions are rooted in this belief.
2) There are things on earth that still cannot be explained by modern science such as some of the Seven Wonders of the Earth. (i.e. Great Pyramid)
3) No record of creation of life in the lab. Not one single amoeba.
4) Brainsmasher didn't believe in God and he was always wrong

:D

Isaac-Saxxon 08-10-2007 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
Although the others may shift from the point to talking about your pole-ness, I will attempt to stick to some basic facts. Here are reasons why the evidence supporting a supreme being is not weak. Maybe it is not proof-perfect, but it is certainly not weak.

1) The Majority of people on earth believe in the God of Abraham in the old testament. 3 major religions are rooted in this belief.
2) There are things on earth that still cannot be explained by modern science such as some of the Seven Wonders of the Earth. (i.e. Great Pyramid)

:D

5) joepole thinks God is a jerk :rolleyes:
6) God has a sense of humor ie joepole :laugh:

Pocahontas 08-10-2007 08:34 AM

We can no more convince Joepole that there is a God than Joe can convince us there's not one. :rolleyes: Good try though Isaac and rhertz!:D :peace:

joepole 08-10-2007 09:17 AM

I appreciate your posting actual points instead of nothingness followed by 11 emoticons.

1) The Majority of people on earth believe in the God of Abraham in the old testament. 3 major religions are rooted in this belief.

Even if that is true it's meaningless. Popular says nothing about correct.

I'm pretty sure the Great Pyramid can be explained by modern science: It's made of stone. Does the Bible explain something about it that I'm not aware of?

The field of organic chemistry isn't even 200 years old. I don't find the fact that life hasn't been created to be proof of anything. Prior to Wohler people used to think all organic chemicals were divinely created for the same reason. They were obviously wrong.

This one actually worries me. That guy was willfully retarded.

Pocahontas 08-10-2007 02:27 PM

Yes the Bible does explain ALOT more about the pyramid! I have heard discussions on it from scholars that make sense. One would really have to be in tune at a very in depth level to understand it all. My humble self cannot explain it all but if you are truly interested I'm betting Isaac can explain away.

vixweb 08-10-2007 07:07 PM

Quote:

I appreciate your posting actual points instead of nothingness followed by 11 emoticons.

I'm pretty sure the Great Pyramid can be explained by modern science: It's made of stone. Does the Bible explain something about it that I'm not aware of?

The field of organic chemistry isn't even 200 years old. I don't find the fact that life hasn't been created to be proof of anything. Prior to Wohler people used to think all organic chemicals were divinely created for the same reason. They were obviously wrong.

Where to start? The fact that you need "proof" says alot. I bet your a "global warming" nut though, arent you? Prove that...
Most of the population does,in fact, believe in GOD. Not because its popular, but from their own personal experiences witch lead to FAITH.
Of course, there are many things that we cannot explain or fully understand, such as the pyramids. Although, many people(namely the Egyptians) would have you believe that they built them. I do not. There are many theories about construction, but what about the erosion we see? Many geologists now think it is WATER erosion, not wind erosion-this is from looking at underwater structures around the world which are still submersed. I wonder how the pyramids could have been under water? hmmm....
Since the advent of computers, we have been able to see things in a different way. Much like the Nazca lines, which were not known about until someone flew a plane over them in the 1920's. If you look at a globe, and mark off sites like the pyramids, easter island, angkor wat, you will see that these sites are ALL a sertain distance apart from each other around the globe(something like 33 degrees) AND that they match up to the constellations at a very distant time period that would be about 10,500 B.C. We know this because the computer can reverse the procession of the stars. Thats some SERIOUS astrology for some egyptians who did'nt even have a wheel yet! The point is- Is all this a coincidence? Popular opinion? I don't need proof.

Texasbelle 08-10-2007 08:00 PM

Way to go Vixweb!!!! Great post!!!!

:clapbig: :bravo: :goodpost2: :clapbig:

rhertz 08-10-2007 08:28 PM

Quote:

> The Majority of people on earth believe in the God of Abraham in the old testament. 3 major religions are rooted in this belief.

Yeah I once had this argument with ole Brain, but I didn't care to debate him. Rather I feel I can carry on a normal conversation with you.

Popularity does mean a lot. Lets say that 10 people report a so called miracle verses 100 people, or 1000 people, or 10,000 people. The same rules apply as trying to prove the existence of alien UFO's. Given any single event, the number of believers in that event is important for credible witness and testimony. Maybe the event is a UFO, or maybe someone walking on water or multiplying fish.

In addition to this eye-witness testimony, many believers go so far as to provide "spiritual testimony" which could be seen as jibberish or devine inspiration. Some things are really hard to explain 100% like gravity, even though it is ever present. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't admit to believing in gravity if I was the only one who would admit it. yeah right there is this strange mystical force that invisibly draws you to other matter. If most scientists believe that as the most popular theory, then me too..

Quote:

> There are things on earth that still cannot be explained by modern science such as some of the Seven Wonders of the Earth. (i.e. Great Pyramid)

There are many mysteries surrounding the Giza Pyramid ranging from how it was built with such precision to why it was built, and even how long it took to build it. Cutting straight to the point, I believe the pyramid was a prophetic creation and leave it at that.

Quote:

> No record of creation of life in the lab. Not one single amoeba.

Well until life is created by man, then God has the exclusive on that technology. If it ever happens, then strike this one from my list.

Quote:

>Brainsmasher didn't believe in God and he was always wrong

Actually he was smart in an Internet sense in that his agenda was search engine optimization for his website. I learned that it sometimes pays to make no sense and carry on and on ad nausem...

joepole 08-11-2007 12:03 AM

>Way to go Vixweb!!!! Great post!!!!

Seriously? It addressed no points and blathered on about nonsense crackpot theories.

>Where to start? The fact that you need "proof" says alot.

Indeed it does. The fact that you apparently don't say a lot, as well.

>I bet your a "global warming" nut though, arent you? Prove that...

You would lose that bet.

Isaac-Saxxon 08-11-2007 06:23 AM

Quote:

>Way to go Vixweb!!!! Great post!!!!

Seriously? It addressed no points and blathered on about nonsense crackpot theories.

>Where to start? The fact that you need "proof" says alot.

Indeed it does. The fact that you apparently don't say a lot, as well.

>I bet your a "global warming" nut though, arent you? Prove that...

You would lose that bet.

Hey Pole I see your burning the midnight oil. There is no global warming and if all you believe is what you can taste,see or smell then have a good trip. The dirt nap comes to all. You will get your proof soon enough. Eternity is just that. I do not believe in a burning hell just if you fail you are "blotted out" and are no more. :(

vixweb 08-11-2007 09:22 AM

[quote=joepole]>Way to go Vixweb!!!! Great post!!!!

No points? I thought you were saying science could explain these things?
The positioning of the pyramids and other ancient sites relative to astrology is no theory. Are you saying it isn't true? Say what you mean- if you can.